Cases registered against 98 policemen for graftApril 10th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) A case of corruption has been slapped against 98 Delhi traffic policemen who were caught on camera taking bribes from Blueline bus drivers, an official said Thursday. The policemen may be arrested. “We registered a case against the policemen Wednesday night under the Prevention of Corruption Act after a vigilance probe prima facie found them guilty,” a senior police official said.
He said the policemen - the largest number caught in one single operation - could be arrested.
The 98 policemen - including 11 sub-inspectors and assistant sub-inspectors each, 10 head constables and 66 constables - have been suspended.
Chetan Prakash, a property dealer, had carried out the dramatic sting operation last year. He secretly filmed the 98 men demanding and accepting bribes from drivers of Blueline buses at 23 traffic junctions across the capital.
The bribes were being taken to let the drivers of the privately run bus fleet violate traffic and safety rules. Blueline buses killed over 120 people in 2007 and have claimed about 20 lives this year.
He moved the Delhi High Court, which directed the home ministry and Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal to look into the matter.
- 98 Delhi policemen booked for graft, face arrests - Apr 10, 2008
- Jail, 100 times bribe fine for two policemen - Feb 24, 2012
- Rajasthan BJP legislator to be tried for staged shootout - Apr 24, 2012
- 98 Delhi policemen suspended for graft - Apr 05, 2008
- Car hits police van, three hurt - Jan 01, 2012
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- RTI activist booked for sting operation - Sep 06, 2012
- Four cops suspended after sting operation - Jun 02, 2010
- Rajasthan Police sub-inspector arrested for bribery - Aug 20, 2012
- Three cops killed as truck rams into police station - Jun 16, 2012
- Three policemen run over by truck in Ghaziabad - Sep 21, 2012
- Four Rajasthan cops accused of staged gunfight surrender - Jul 26, 2011
- Custody of senior Rajasthan BJP leader extended - Apr 09, 2012
- Contracts signed for four more bus clusters in Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Police hunt for Blueline killer driver - May 09, 2011