Cases of violence against women need speedy trial: VyasApril 24th, 2010 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, April 24 (IANS) Cases of trafficking and violence against women should be fast tracked, National Commission for Women (NCW) Chairperson Girija Vyas said Saturday.
“It takes a very long time to get justice in a normal trial, hence the need to allocate such cases to fast track courts,” she told reporters here.
She said the government should set up a cell to curb cases of fraudulent marriages involving gullible women and non-resident Indians (NRIs).
Vyas said that the NCW would urge the Gujarat government to shut down clinics carrying out illegal abortions. She was apparently referring to the recovery of 14 foetuses from a garbage dump in Ahmedabad April 19. A doctor was arrested in the case.
Vyas demanded that the government amend the law and enhance the punishment for conducting an illegal abortions from three years to 10 years.
- Women panel seeks report on Delhi scribe's death - May 03, 2010
- Rape cases trials in fast track courts mooted - Feb 11, 2011
- Girls unsafe in Uttar Pradesh, say women's panel, activists (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- UP Khap diktat outrages women politicians, activists (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Bill against honour killing likely in monsoon session: Girija Vyas - Apr 06, 2011
- Delhi top cop meets Girija Vyas over women's safety (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Women activists slam feudal panchayats, demand action - Jul 13, 2012
- 331 complaints by women against NRI husbands - Jan 21, 2010
- Girija Vyas seeks report on woman journalist's death - May 03, 2010
- Girls not safe in Uttar Pradesh, say activists - Feb 07, 2011
- Girija Vyas writes to home, law minister for Aarushi case - Dec 31, 2010
- NCW, UN agency to work against women trafficking - Feb 01, 2010
- It is 'rule of thugs' in Uttar Pradesh: Krishna Tirath - Feb 07, 2011
- Women's commission wants TV content monitored - Nov 19, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh tops in crimes against women: Girija Vyas - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: 10 years, ahmedabad, april 24, chairperson, fast track, foetuses, garbage dump, girija, gujarat government, illegal abortions, indians, long time, speedy trial, trafficking, violence against women, vyas