Case against Tytler transferred to Delhi courtDecember 12th, 2008 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday transferred from a Ludhiana court to a Delhi court the trial of senior Congress leader Jagdish Tytler for making defamatory statements against a lawyer representing the victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in the national capital.A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice P. Sathashivam transferred Tytler’s trial to a lower court in Delhi on his plea for the transfer on the grounds that he faced threat to his life in Punjab.
In his petition to the apex court, Tytler said he faced threat in Punjab due to popular perception and wide-spread allegations that he was one among the several Congress leaders who instigated riots against Sikhs following the assassination of the then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 30, 1984.
A Ludhiana court had issued a bailable arrest warrant against Tytler Sept 11 this year on a plea by advocate H.S. Phoolka, who sought defamation proceedings against the Congress leader.
Phoolka in his petition to the Ludhiana court in 2004 said Tytler had made some defamatory remarks against him during a television show, in which both were present.
Tytler earlier had moved the Punjab and Haryana High Court for transfer of the criminal case against him outside Punjab as, he said, he apprehended danger to his life from Sikh militants.
But the high court refused to grant him the relief, telling him to appear before the trial court Nov 28.
But a week prior to his date with the trial court, Tytler moved the apex court Nov 21.
- Defamation proceedings against Tytler in Punjab court halted - Nov 21, 2008
- Court defers hearing on defamation case against Tytler - Jan 16, 2010
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told - Feb 16, 2012
- Anti-Sikh riots: Tytler gets bail in defamation case - Apr 18, 2009
- 'Amarinder's statement on 1984 riots contrary to facts' - May 16, 2010
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- SC suspends Sajjan Kumar's trial in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Tytler granted bail in defamation case - Apr 18, 2009
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- 1984 riots: Delhi Police shielded Sajjan Kumar, says CBI to Supreme Court - Aug 27, 2010