Case against Swamy for anti-Muslim viewsAugust 2nd, 2011 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) The National Commission for Minorities (NCM) Tuesday decided to file a case against Janata Pary president Subramanian Swamy who has, in a signed newspaper article, suggested that the voting rights of Indian Muslims be revoked.
“Swamy’s article came up in the weekly meeting today (Tuesday). We decided to seek legal action against him as per the penal and electoral code,” panel head Wajahat Habibullah told IANS.
Besides Habibullah, the meeting was attended by vice chairperson H.T. Sangliana and members H.S. Hanspal, Vinod Sharma and Keki Daruwalla.
“In a couple of days, we will register an FIR and take up the matter with the Election Commission of India also,” Habibullah said, adding that by writing an “outrageous article” Swamy was spreading “enmity and inciting hatred”.
The panel head said that Swamy, by writing the article “How to wipe out Islamic terror”, had violated the law and incited hatred.
The Harvard-educated economics scholar, in the article published July 17 in the Daily News and Analysis (DNA), had suggested to Indian Hindus to collectively respond to terror acts.
“We need a collective mindset as Hindus to stand against the Islamic terrorist… If any Muslim acknowledges his or her Hindu legacy, then we Hindus can accept him or her as a part of the Brihad Hindu Samaj (greater Hindu society) which is Hindustan.”
- Subramanian Swamy faces criminal case for anti-Muslim article - Oct 03, 2011
- Minorities panel mulls action against Swamy for anti-Muslim views - Jul 29, 2011
- Wajahat Habibullah assumes charge as NCM chairperson - Feb 03, 2011
- Wajahat Habibullah to head National Commission for Minorities - Feb 03, 2011
- Wajahat Habibullah is new head of minorities' panel - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Swamy can't be arrested till Jan 30' - Jan 13, 2012
- Subramanian Swamy gets anticipatory bail (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Arrest Swamy, rights body urges Mumbai police - Jul 30, 2011
- 'Report on Assam riots has inflammatory comments' - Aug 22, 2012
- Harvard decision a dangerous precedent, says Swamy - Dec 08, 2011
- Christian council condemns Togadia hate speech - Nov 09, 2011
- Hindu journalist wins first prize for Humanitarian Reporting - Oct 19, 2011
- RTI implementation needs strengthening: Habibullah - Oct 19, 2011
- Lalu Prasad gives compensation to victims of police firing - Sep 05, 2011
- Give Indian Muslim women more social space: Minority bodies - Mar 08, 2011