Case against over 3,000 flood victims after violent protestFebruary 19th, 2010 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 19 (IANS) A case was Friday lodged against more than 3,000 flood victims at Birpur in Supaul district of Bihar for violent protests, a day after at least 12 protestors were injured when police opened fire and charged them with batons.
More than three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the Kosi river breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course Aug 18, 2008. Large tracts of land were flooded, forcing people to flee their homes.
They were then forced to live along the roads without food, clothes, shelter and drinking water or in the relief camps set up by the state government. Thousands of people were affected by the worst floods of Bihar in the last 50 years.
Hundreds of flood victims protested Thursday outside the office of Birpur sub-divisional officer, demanding their rehabilitation, payment of compensation as announced by the state government, employment, check in rampant corruption and loot of public money meant for them.
“A case was lodged against 3,000 unknown flood victims and 49 known flood victims for damaging the government office and creating trouble during protest,” police said.
Supaul Deputy Superintendent of Police Vikas Kumar said the police action came after the victims refused to withdraw their agitation.
Opposition Left parties, Rashtriya Janata Dal and Lok Janshakti Party condemned the police action on the flood victims.
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- 12 injured as police opens fire on flood victims in Bihar - Feb 19, 2010
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Flood fears return to haunt Bihar - Jul 28, 2009
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Bihar fears repeat of devastating floods - Jul 01, 2009
- Flood victim dies of starvation in Bihar - Jan 13, 2009
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Case against Bihar official for embezzling flood relief funds - Jan 03, 2009
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Bihar asks Nepal to secure Kosi embankments - Jul 10, 2009
Tags: agitation, bihar, deputy superintendent, divisional officer, employment check, flood victims, government office, janata, kosi river, loot, police action, protestors, public money, rampant corruption, relief camps, state government employment, vikas, violent protest, violent protests, worst floods