Case against Bihar official for embezzling flood relief fundsJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 3 (IANS) A case was lodged against four people, including a block development officer (BDO), for allegedly embezzling flood relief funds in Bihar’s Purnia district, police sources said Saturday.Manorma Devi, the pramukh (village chief) of Banmankhi block in the district, lodged a case against four people including BDO Shailesh Kumar, whom she accused of forcing her to sign papers for release of relief funds, amounting to Rs.18.7 million, for the 14 flood-affected wards of the block.
She also accused deputy pramukh Naval Kishor Yadav of verbally abusing her for the delay in signing the papers for release of the funds.
Kumar, however, denied the charges.
More than three million people were rendered homeless in Purnia, Araria, Supaul, Madhepura and Saharsa districts of the state when the Kosi river breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course Aug 18, 2008, flooding large tracts of land and forcing millions of people to flee their homes.
Reports reaching here said hundreds of flood victims continued to protest against the inadequate assistance provided by the state government to them, more than four months after the the worst floods seen in the last 50 years.
Opposition leaders have repeatedly alleged large-scale swindling of funds by officials involved in relief work. However, the state government has not ordered a probe into the allegations, despite the fact that state had seen a flood relief scam after the 2004 floods in north Bihar.
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Flood victim injured in police firing in Bihar - Aug 25, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Bihar elections begin - Oct 21, 2010
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 19, 2011
- 54 percent peaceful polling in Bihar first phase (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2010
- 77 killed as powerful storm hits West Bengal, Bihar (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2010
- First phase of Bihar elections witnesses 53 per cent polling - Oct 21, 2010
- Bihar elections proceed peacefully (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Desperate and angry, Bihar flood victims loot relief material - Oct 07, 2008