Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released WednesdaySeptember 12th, 2012 - 10:59 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 12 (IANS) Jailed cartoonist Aseem Trivedi will walk out of prison Wednesday afternoon, an India Against Corruption (IAC) spokesperson said.
An IAC team will be present to receive Trivedi outside the Arthur Road Central Jail, where he has been lodged since the past couple of days, said IAC activist Preeti Menon.
The development comes a day after the Bombay High Court granted bail of Rs.5,000 to Trivedi in a public interest litigation filed by a lawyer Sanskar Marathe.
Trivedi was arrested last Saturday and sent to police custody for seven days.
He was charged with sedition for drawing cartoons insulting the Indian emblem, including the Constitution, during Anna Hazare’ anti-corruption movement in Mumbai in December 2011.
Following nationwide outrage, the Mumbai police Monday produced him before a court where he was granted judicial custody till Sep 24. The high court granted him bail Tuesday.
Trivedi Tuesday declined to be released until the sedition charge, slapped by Mumbai Police on him, was withdrawn.
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi's case - Sep 13, 2012
- I drew no wrong, I'm not sorry: Aseem Trivedi (Third lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Maharashtra High Court grants bail to Aseem Trivedi - Sep 11, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt supports Aseem, calls for freedom of art - Sep 12, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Family stands by jailed cartoonist, coal minister heckled - Sep 10, 2012
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, arthur road, bombay high court, cartoonist, central jail, constitution, corruption, couple of days, drawing cartoons, judicial custody, last saturday, mumbai police, outrage, preeti, public interest litigation, sedition, seven days, spokesperson, trivedi, wednesday afternoon