Cargo ship sinks off Bulgaria coastSeptember 27th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Sofia (Bulgaria), Sep 27 (Xinhua) A cargo ship Saturday sank in the Black Sea off the coast of Bulgaria and all its crewmembers were reported missing, a media report cited Bulgarian transport ministry as saying.It is still not known how many people were on board the ship ‘Tolstoy’ that sank around 4 a.m. (0100 GMT) off Cape Emine on Bulgaria’s northern Black Sea coast, a spokeswoman for the ministry said.
The ship, with a Korean flag, issued no SOS call (distress call). The authorities only found out about the incident around 11 a.m. (0800 GMT) after a signal was sent from another Black Sea country, she said.
The Bulgarian air force helicopters are currently searching the area for survivors. Military and commercial ships are also participating in the rescue effort.
The bad weather is making the rescue work difficult.
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- 'Maximum punishment for captains of vessels passing sinking ship' - Jul 12, 2011
- 246 survive Papua New Guinea ferry accident - Feb 03, 2012
- 200 rescued in Papua New Guinea ferry disaster (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 100 people missing, 80 rescued as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 11, 2011
- Coast guard rescue nine crewmen from sinking ship - Aug 04, 2011
- Cargo ship sinks off Mumbai, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- 10 missing after ship sinks off south China coast - Dec 04, 2010
- Coast guard rescue 30 crewmen from sinking ship (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Mumbai oil spill decreasing: Defence ministry - Aug 08, 2011
- Clinton talks military cooperation with Bulgarian PM - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Vampire' skeletons discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 06, 2012
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- 14 hospitalised after gas leakage in Bulgaria - Dec 17, 2011