Car thieves led by ex-army officer busted (Second Lead)May 16th, 2010 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 16 (IANS) Police Sunday claimed they had busted a gang of car thieves led by a retired Indian Army officer who is now on the run.
Lt. Col. M.P. Singh, who left the army about 18 months ago, was running the gang for about a decade, Senior Superintendent of Police Raghuvir Lal said.
Police recovered 11 luxury cars along with fake documents after questioning one of the gang members.
Three others, the retired officer included, are on the run, Lal said. A police sub-inspector, Pankaj Verma, has been suspended for failing to arrest the former army officer.
The gang was busted following a tip, police added.
The arrested man has been identified as Nagad Narayan alias Ram Singh, a resident of Afaur Tola in Bihar. He confessed that he prepared forged documents for the stolen vehicles.
“Some customers who came to know they had been sold stolen cars surrendered them to the police voluntarily,” Lal said.
- Auto thieves led by ex-army officer busted (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- Auto lifters' gang headed by retired army officer busted - May 16, 2010
- 10 luxury cars, 27 bikes recovered from vehicle thieves - Jun 16, 2011
- Auto-lifters gang busted in Ghaziabad, 11 cars seized - Mar 23, 2010
- Haryana police busts gang of highway robbers - May 05, 2012
- Inter-state gang of vehicle thieves busted, three held - Apr 05, 2011
- One cop held with drugs, four suspended in Ghaziabad - Feb 02, 2011
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Dealers in stolen vehicles arrested in Delhi - Jan 20, 2011
- Auto thieves' gang busted in Ahmedabad - Oct 19, 2010
- Two vehicle thieves held in Delhi - Mar 07, 2011
- Police official among three nabbed for car lifting - Jan 02, 2011
- Muthoot robbery solved, six arrested (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Gang of vehicle thieves busted in Delhi - Jun 09, 2010