Car mows down two Kumbh pilgrimsApril 14th, 2010 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Haridwar (Uttarakhand), April 14 (IANS) At least two Kumbh pilgrims were killed and five others injured when a speeding car ran over them here Wednesday, police said, denying media reports that the pilgrims were killed in a stampede during the ongoing and last royal bath of the Maha Kumbh.
“The accident took place after a speeding car ran over them and not because of any stampede,” Deputy Inspector General (DIG, Kumbh Mela) Alok Sharma told IANS on phone.
“The accident took place nearly two km away from the Har-Ki-Pauri ghat, when a car went out of control and ran over several people, killing two on the spot. Those injured are being treated in various hospitals,” he added.
Anand Vardhan, officer in-charge of the mela told IANS: “The identity of the deceased - a man and a woman - is yet to be established.”
According to police sources, the car belongs to a Mahamandaleshwar (head of an akhada).
“It’s a case of negligent driving. We have initiated an enquiry and will take necessary action in this regard,” said Sharma.
Police are yet to make any arrests in the case.
Shahi Snan, one of the most important events of the Maha Kumbh Mela, witnesses sadhus of various sects going to the banks of the Ganga in a ceremonial march and then taking a dip in the water - a symbol that they have dedicated themselves to the holy river.
The Maha Kumbh Mela began Jan 14.
- Seven Kumbh pilgrims mowed down by car (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Haridwar turns virtual fortress ahead of big day in Maha Kumbh - Feb 11, 2010
- Ganga ghats resound with ecstasy on first Shahi Snan (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Sea of pilgrims at Maha Kumbh for Mahashivratri bath - Feb 12, 2010
- Ahead of Magh Purnima, tight security at Maha Kumbh - Jan 29, 2010
- Four dead in Haridwar stampede - Apr 14, 2010
- 55 lakh people visited Maha Kumbh mela on Mahashivratri - Feb 12, 2010
- Somersaults, dance and music during Mahashivratri bath (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- 2010 Mahakumbh a bigger draw than earlier fairs (With Images) - Jan 18, 2010
- When sadhus came astride elephants, horses at Maha Kumbh - Jan 30, 2010
- Big Maha Kumbh bathing day draws thousands - Jan 30, 2010
- Haridwar overflows with pilgrims on last day of Maha Kumbh - Apr 28, 2010
- Ritual bath at Mahakumbh Mela amid tight security (Lead, with image) - Jan 14, 2010
- Seers protest against hydropower projects in Haridwar - Mar 23, 2010
- Sadhus take out procession ahead of holy dip in Haridwar - Jan 31, 2010
Tags: alok, ceremonial march, deputy inspector general, ganga, ghat, har, haridwar, important events, kumbh mela, maha kumbh mela, man and a woman, mows, negligent driving, pauri, pilgrims, police sources, sects, speeding car, stampede, uttarakhand