Capital’s cultural bodies celebrate Tagore’s birth anniversaryMay 7th, 2010 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) Big celebrations have been lined up for the 150th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, with the Sangeet Natak Akademi, Sahitya Akademi, Lalit Kala Akademi and the union culture ministry joining hands to mark the occasion.
A three-day event titled “Rabindra Pranati” beginning Friday will take place in Rabindra Bhavan in Delhi. May 9 is the poet’s birth anniversary.
On the first day, there will be a book exhibition on Tagore. To be held at the Sahitya Akademi, “Tagore’s Treasures”, as the exhibition is titled, will see books such as “Renderings of Gitanjali” in different Indian languages by eminent poets.
There will also be a Rabindra Sangeet programme at Meghdoot theatre, to be put up by well known artists from Kolkata and Delhi.
On Saturday there will a panel discussion, “Re-exploring Tagore’s Art”. There will also be renderings from Tagore’s literary work by actors and then a music programme.
“Kavyanjali”, a poets’ meet, will take place Sunday. There will also be a puppet play, dance performance and songs sung by a Calcutta choir.
“Pranab Mukherjee, minister of finance, will be part of the celebrations and pay tribute to Rabindranath Tagore. On this occasion, he will also release a commemorative coin,” an official statement said.
- Delhi to host a spread of Tagore's works Sunday - May 08, 2010
- Tagore culture carnival keeps capital busy - May 07, 2011
- London poet to make his acting debut in Tagore's play - Feb 10, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- Two-day special UNESCO tribute to Tagore's legacy - Sep 11, 2011
- Special 'Gitanjali' to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - Feb 04, 2012
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- For Bengalis, Tagore still the man for all seasons - May 07, 2011
- Rich tributes to Tagore on 71st death anniversary - Aug 08, 2011
- Artists from across India to pay homage to Tagore (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- Lata ushers in Tagore anniversary tribute - Aug 07, 2011
- Parliament remembers Tagore - May 08, 2012
- PM heads panel on 150th birth anniversary of Tagore - May 04, 2010
Tags: birth anniversary, book exhibition, calcutta, commemorative coin, culture ministry, dance performance, eminent poets, gitanjali, indian languages, joining hands, kolkata, minister of finance, nobel laureate, panel discussion, pranab mukherjee, puppet play, rabindranath tagore, renderings, sahitya akademi, sangeet