Can’t rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead)August 24th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 24 (IANS) Home Secretary R.K. Singh said Friday that it is possible Pakistan may have dug more tunnels to push militants and weapons into India.
He also the media here that New Delhi would take up with Islamabad a sudden spurt in firing by Pakistani forces at Indian border posts killing a Border Security Force (BSF) trooper.
Singh visited areas along the international border where the Pakistanis had opened fire in violation of the 2003 ceasefire.
“This issue will be taken up seriously with Pakistan,” he said.
Referring to the discovery of a cross-border tunnel in Samba sector originating from Pakistan last month, Singh said: “We cannot rule out more tunnels along the international border.”
“Though such firing from Pakistan is aimed at giving cover to infiltrators entering India, it is mysterious why Pakistan opened fire at a number of locations.”
Commenting on the issue of hate mail originating from Pakistan that triggered a mass exodus of northeast people from Bangalore and Pune, Singh said:, “Evidence for this is available with us.”
Pakistani troops have been firing at Indian posts since Aug 5.
The affected areas include Suchetgarh, Pallanwala, Arnia, Abdullian and Chechwal. The 500-metre tunnel was discovered July 28 in Chechwal.
After holding meetings, Singh flew to the Indian Army’s Northern Command headquarters in Udhampur to met Commander Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik.
Singh will meet Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Srinagar Saturday.
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- Pakistani firing seeks to push terrorists into Kashmir - Aug 23, 2012
- Tunnel incident against India-Pakistan CBMs - Aug 02, 2012
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- Tunnel from Pakistan found near border in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Army chief reviews Kashmir border security - Feb 09, 2012
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- End of tunnel from Pakistan found - Aug 08, 2012
- Army chief visits Northern Command - May 23, 2012
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- Are there more tunnels on India-Pakistan border? - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian Army vice chief reviews operational preparedness on borders - Oct 19, 2011
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,