Can’t rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead)

August 24th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS  

Jammu, Aug 24 (IANS) Home Secretary R.K. Singh said Friday that it is possible Pakistan may have dug more tunnels to push militants and weapons into India.

He also the media here that New Delhi would take up with Islamabad a sudden spurt in firing by Pakistani forces at Indian border posts killing a Border Security Force (BSF) trooper.

Singh visited areas along the international border where the Pakistanis had opened fire in violation of the 2003 ceasefire.

“This issue will be taken up seriously with Pakistan,” he said.

Referring to the discovery of a cross-border tunnel in Samba sector originating from Pakistan last month, Singh said: “We cannot rule out more tunnels along the international border.”

“Though such firing from Pakistan is aimed at giving cover to infiltrators entering India, it is mysterious why Pakistan opened fire at a number of locations.”

Commenting on the issue of hate mail originating from Pakistan that triggered a mass exodus of northeast people from Bangalore and Pune, Singh said:, “Evidence for this is available with us.”

Pakistani troops have been firing at Indian posts since Aug 5.

The affected areas include Suchetgarh, Pallanwala, Arnia, Abdullian and Chechwal. The 500-metre tunnel was discovered July 28 in Chechwal.

After holding meetings, Singh flew to the Indian Army’s Northern Command headquarters in Udhampur to met Commander Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik.

Singh will meet Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Srinagar Saturday.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe