Can’t be thinking about the title just yet: MourinhoFebruary 18th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 18 (IANS) Real Madrid football coach Jose Mourinho reiterated they were still some distance away from wrapping the La Liga title and needed to play their remaining league matches with full focus.
Real Madrid’s 10-point lead at the top of the table has led to Madrid fans speculating of the possibility of seeing their side arrive as champions towards the end of the season and the Barcelona players have to applaud their rivals onto the pitch. The two Spanish giants next face each other on April 22. Mourinho was more realistic about the chances of that happening, Xinhua reports.
“I would like to win the title tomorrow. I think it is stupid to see we can be champions by the time we play at the Camp Nou as we would have to have a 15-point lead. It would be fantastic to win the title by just one point,” he said.
However, the coach was optimistic that his side would win the title.
“We are in a good situation in the league, but there are still a lot of games to be played and every match is difficult. I think Barca are a team able to win 10 games on the trot and we will be in trouble if we lose. So we still have to play every match as if it is the last,” Mourinho was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Real Madrid have made a habit of conceding early goals and even last weekend saw them concede twice at home to Levante, something the coach wants to end.
“Of course, I am worried about conceding so many, we have looked at things to try and correct it while not losing the attacking capacity we have shown,” said Mourinho, who welcomed the return of his side to Champions League action away to CSKA Moscow Tuesday.
“We are not at a stage where we have started to tire. Now the Champions League returns and we like the routine of playing three matches a week. We are in a good situation and players have recovered. I think we will have everyone available,” concluded Mourinho.
- Mourinho insists Madrid not La Liga Champions yet - Feb 13, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Mourinho: Liga is priority - Mar 15, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Real Madrid defeat Barcelona in Camp Nou - Apr 22, 2012
- Guardiola dedicates Getafe win to Eric Abidal - Apr 11, 2012
- Guardiola congratulates Madrid for Camp Nou win - Apr 22, 2012
- Barca look to narrow Primera Liga gap with Real - Mar 30, 2012
- Barcelona look to close gap with Madrid - Mar 15, 2012
- Rumours over his future irritate Mourinho - Feb 12, 2012
- La Liga title still not out of grasp: Guardiola - Nov 27, 2011
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Six points still a big lead: Guardiola - Mar 24, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- League title all but lost: Barca coach Guardiola - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,