Cannot frame guidelines in every rape case: courtApril 1st, 2009 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court, while hearing a case related to a rape victim agreeing to marry her attacker under pressure, Wednesday told the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) that it cannot frame guidelines for every rape case and asked for records related to the trial.
A division bench headed by Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Sanjiv Khanna asked the commission to bring the case records before it within four weeks.
The commission Tuesday approached the court after a rape victim, under pressure, accepted a marriage offer from her attacker, who has been denied bail by a city court.
The DCW in its letter said the woman had approached the commission for help as she was under pressure from her family.
The letter stated that a wrong precedent would be set if the rape accused are allowed to marry their victims during the pendency of the cases. The commission sought urgent intervention in the case, saying that if the attacker is granted bail, the law becomes meaningless.
In its letter, the DCW argued that such steps by rape victims are against law, and if such instances take place, in all rape cases the accused men will walk scot-free after marrying their victims.
The incident happened in 2005 when Momin, a neighbour of the victim, called her to his house on some pretext, drugged her and raped her.
Momin, in jail for three years, was left with no other means of securing bail and decided to accept the victim as his wife. His bail application stated that even the victim had agreed to marry him.
- Rapist offers to marry his victim, but women's panel objects - Mar 31, 2009
- Court to hear women panel's plea for rape victim - Mar 31, 2009
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Maharashtra Police officer gets bail in rape case - Apr 23, 2012
- Apex court breather for Madhur Bhandarkar (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place - Sep 08, 2010
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Government to compensate rape victims - Jul 06, 2011
- I'm speechless and overwhelmed: Bhandarkar - Apr 09, 2012
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case - Mar 22, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Shiney Ahuja's maid now claims rape never took place (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Noida police draw flak for exposing rape victim (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Long trials to blame for rapists walking free - Nov 30, 2010
- Pak SC judge writes dissenting note in Mukhtaran Mai gangrape case - Apr 22, 2011