Cannibal arrested in MoscowMay 17th, 2011 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A man suspected to be behind the appearance of dismembered body parts across Moscow in recent weeks was arrested early Tuesday morning after half-eaten human innards were found in his home, police said.
Police found a stew made from a human liver in the fridge at the suspect’s apartment in east Moscow. They believe the liver to be part of the same body as various dismembered body parts found scattered around Moscow in recent weeks.
The decapitated head of a middle-aged man was found in the Moskva River in the west of the city Wednesday.
An arm - severed at the wrist - was pulled from the water under a bridge in south Moscow’s Tsaritsino Park May 2 and two feet were discovered floating nearby in the Moskva River on the same day. A hand and another arm were later discovered in the same area.
Police believe the suspect killed his friend and tried to destroy the evidence by severing the body parts and hiding them around the city.
“Detectives established the identity of the dead body by taking fingerprints,” police spokesman Alexei Savelyev said. “After that police tracked down the suspected offender through a circle of the deceased’s friends.”
The suspect, whose identity was not disclosed, has a history of mental illness.
- Three bombs defused in Russia's North Caucasus - May 23, 2011
- 49 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - May 14, 2012
- Russian dismembered by wife for not taking shower - Jul 03, 2012
- Man jailed for life for killing Russian soldiers - Jun 01, 2012
- Drunk held for gas blast threat - Mar 24, 2012
- 11 knifed to death in Kazakhstan - Aug 15, 2012
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Russia - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia to reduce pilot training to three years - Oct 13, 2011
- Chinese woman held for smuggling deer genitals - Aug 13, 2012
- Ukrainians robbed of 3 mn euros in Moscow - Dec 05, 2011
- Bomb scare at RIA Novosti office - Sep 15, 2011
- Man held for thawing Russian morgue - Mar 15, 2012
- Boris Yeltsin's statue vandalised in Russia - Aug 25, 2012
- Corpses end up on street near Russia morgue - Aug 02, 2012
- Man with binoculars killed near Ukraine nudist beach - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: apartment, appearance, body parts, cannibal, decapitated head, detectives, dg, early tuesday, fingerprints, fridge, history of mental illness, human liver, innards, middle aged man, moskva river, police spokesman, ria novosti, south moscow, tuesday morning, two feet