Candlelight vigils, blood donation camps for Mumbai victimsDecember 1st, 2008 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 30 (IANS) Kolkatans held candlelight vigils and organised blood donation camps Sunday to express their solidarity with the victims of the devastating terror strikes in Mumbai.Silent candleight vigils were held at Jodhpur Park in south Kolkata and Behala on the south western outskirts of the city, with people from all walks of life joining in.
Doctors, teachers, students, businessmen, IT professionals and housewives stood in silence in memory of those killed in the attacks and those who died while battling terrorists. It was also a protest against the barbarism let loose by the terrorists.
The Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI), the youth wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), organised a blood donation camp in the south Kolkata locality of Dhakuria.
A DYFI member said that 75 people, including 12 women, donated blood, which will be sent to help in the treatment of the hundreds injured admitted to different Mumbai hospitals.
- Pune pays tribute to German Bakery blast victims (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- Poll panel relaxes rules for blood donation camps - Apr 09, 2011
- Hospital fire: Kolkatans take out candlelight processions - Dec 11, 2011
- Left workers' aid for ailing Congress leader - May 28, 2011
- Bengal governor unfurls tricolour at colourful parade - Jan 26, 2011
- Candlelight marches in Hyderabad to support Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- In Tripura, blood donation is a movement (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 14, 2010
- Ganguly now features in calendar - Dec 27, 2008
- Candlelight vigils mark one month of Japan quake (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Mumbai remembers, prays for 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2010
- Mumbai remembers 26/11: host of events planned a year on - Nov 25, 2009
- Blood donation will narrow caste divide: Azad - May 06, 2011
- Greenpeace observes a month of Japanese quake, tsunami (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Blood donation awareness campaign launched in Chennai - Sep 24, 2010