Candlelight marches in Himachal to support AnnaAugust 28th, 2011 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 28 (IANS) Hundreds of people took out candlelight marches across Himachal Pradesh Sunday in support of Anna Hazare.
“Annaji is a true Gandhian. He has won 50 percent of the battle by deploying Gandhi’s weapon of fasting. We will not rest till he wins the full battle,” a youth said as a group took a pledge to fight graft in front of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi on the Ridge in this Himachal capital.
Speaking at a seminar here Sunday, Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Kurian Joseph said it was moral duty of every citizen not to indulge in corruption.
Elsewhere in Himachal, people in large numbers expressed solidarity with Hazare. Candlelight processions were taken out in Solan, Una, Kangra, Dharamsala, Bilaspur, Hamirpur and Chamba towns.
Meanwhile, 67-year-old Laxmi Chand Thakur in Shimla, and former Public Works Department engineer Desh Raj Sharma in Mandi town ended their fast Sunday after 11 and 12 days respectively.
Hazare broke his 12-day fast in Delhi Sunday after parliament agreed to his three demands for a stronger Lokpal bill — a citizen’s charter for every government department, ombudsmen for all states and inclusion of the lower bureaucracy in the Lokpal’s ambit.
- Shimla shops shut to support Anna - Aug 24, 2011
- Ire in Himachal over Virbhadra Singh's remarks - Aug 25, 2011
- Protests in Himachal to support Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- Himachal Annas end fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Shimla residents support Anna's crusade (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Rains bring down temperatures in Himachal - Jul 05, 2012
- Heavy rain predicted in Himachal - Jul 04, 2010
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
- Five rescued from swollen Himachal river - Jul 15, 2011
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Himachal may get more snow - Apr 20, 2012
- Himachal launches drive against female foeticide - Feb 06, 2011
- Himachal seeks to rein in monkeys - Sep 21, 2011
- Himachal gets 34 percent more rain in June - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: ambit, anna hazare, annaji, bilaspur, candlelight, chamba, chief justice, department engineer, dharamsala, gandhian, government department, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, kangra, kurian, mahatma gandhi, moral duty, ombudsmen, shimla, thakur