Canadian envoy to head research organisationFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 11:41 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) Canada has appointed its high commissioner to India David M. Malone as president of the prestigious International Development Research Centre (IDRC) that helps developing countries make optimal use of science and technology for development. “The appointment will be effective July 1, 2008. He will replace Maureen O’Neil,” a press release by the Canadian high commission said here.
Malone “is an accomplished diplomat and respected scholar”, said Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Maxime Bernier.
“His immense experience in the field as well as in academic research covers areas such as international economic trends, conflict prevention and human rights. He will be a great asset to the Centre,” he said.
Malone, a veteran diplomat who has taught at some top universities in Canada, France and the US, has published numerous books and articles on international relations.
“I will be tremendously sorry to leave India, an assignment I have loved,” Malone said here.
“But I am delighted to be offered the opportunity to work with the very impressive IDRC board and staff on a broad range of issues highly relevant to India and on which India’s leadership will be of systemic importance to development efforts in the rest of the world,” he said.
IDRC is a corporation created by the Canadian parliament in 1970 to help developing countries use science and technology to find practical, long-term solutions to the social, economic and environmental problems they face.
IDRC has located one of its six regional offices in New Delhi.
- Canadian envoy to India appointed International Development Research Centre President - Feb 21, 2008
- Canadian body to fund research by nine Indian think tanks - Jul 20, 2010
- Canada to have first full-fledged India Chair - Jan 18, 2011
- Canadian varsity to set up first India Chair (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Yet another Indian techie donates $1.5 million to Canadian varsity - Jun 17, 2011
- India, Canada explore scope for joint defence research - Oct 17, 2011
- Canada-India Innovation Summit at Ottawa - May 31, 2011
- India, Canada to deepen educational ties - Jun 20, 2011
- Canada forges new links with India in research, higher education - Jul 08, 2009
- Indian, Chinese and Canadian businesses, govt. to atend Cleantech Forum in Toronto - Mar 21, 2011
- Canada announces Banting Fellowships - Jul 14, 2010
- Delhi IIT professor awarded Canadas prestigious IDRC Research Chair - Mar 02, 2009
- Anand Sharma hopeful of growing Indo-US trade relations - Apr 20, 2011
- Indian researcher gets $10,000 Commonwealth scholarship - Jul 28, 2011
- Kaushik Basu named World Bank chief economist - Sep 06, 2012