Canada plans to attract more skilled immigrants in 2012November 4th, 2011 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Ottawa, Nov 4 (IANS) Canada plans to attract more skilled immigrants in 2012, its Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has said.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) plans to welcome 55,000-57,000 federal skilled workers (FSW) mainly through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, up from 47,000-47,400 in the 2011 Immigration Levels Plan, reported Xinhua.
“We recognise the importance of immigration to our labour market and we value the contributions of skilled immigrants who add to our international competitiveness,” Kenney said Thursday.
“We are committed to facilitating the arrival of the best and the brightest to our country,” he added.
An extensive evaluation showed that 89 percent of FSWs were employed or self-employed three years after landing.
Moreover, 95 percent of the employers surveyed indicated that FSWs were meeting or exceeding their expectations.
The evaluation indicated a strong, continuing need for skilled immigrants in Canada.
“The CIC will continue to ramp up efforts to modernize our immigration system to make it more nimble and responsive to labour market needs,” Kenney said.
Skilled workers selected as permanent residents should have work experience in at least one of the occupations, such as specialist physicians, dentists, pharmacists, architects, psychologists, chefs and industrial electricians.
- Canada to ban sex trade from hiring foreign workers - Jul 05, 2012
- Canada to allow skilled immigrants without degrees - Feb 25, 2011
- India, China top as Canada admits record immigrants in 2010 - Feb 14, 2011
- Himachal to rehabilitate sex workers - Aug 08, 2011
- Canada to open office in India for degree recognition - Feb 19, 2010
- Canada issues first `super visa' - Dec 20, 2011
- Indian Govt to set minimum wages for workers wanting to work in UAE - Feb 18, 2011
- Canada fast-tracks recognition of immigrant degrees - Dec 01, 2009
- Many skilled migrants in Britain work in lowly posts - Oct 28, 2010
- Australia, Canada change immigration rules - Jun 28, 2010
- New Canadian act targets 'Ghost' immigration agents - Dec 08, 2010
- Govt. committed to work with industry to ensure framework in labour sector: PM - Nov 23, 2010
- Canada cracks down on human smugglers - Oct 22, 2010
- Canada sending dossier on fraud immigration agents to Punjab - Sep 26, 2010
- India, Finland sign social security accord - Jun 12, 2012