Canada plans military bases in global hot spotsJune 6th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Ottawa, June 6 (IANS) Canada is finalizing agreements with five countries to host Canadian military bases in some of the world’s most volatile regions, a media report said.
Under the Access to Information Act, the Toronto Star newspaper obtained nearly 200 pages of Department of National Defense documents that revealed that the military plans to establish bases in the Latin America and Caribbean region, on both sides of the African continent, in the area marked by conflicts in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and in Southeast Asia.
Last week, Canadian Minister of National Defense Peter Gordon MacKay said that one of those operational support hubs would be situated in Singapore.
“It is expected that the hubs will be capable of supporting a wide variety of operations, including combat missions, peace support operations, disaster relief, humanitarian assistance and non-combat evacuation,” said a Canadian military briefing note obtained by the Star.
General Walter Natynczyk, chief of the Defense Staff of the Canadian Forces, ordered the search for bases in November 2008 to help the military to cut costs by storing equipment and supplies at overseas hubs, reported Xinhua.
The overseas hubs are saving the government millions of Canadian dollars every quarter while only costing hundreds of thousands of dollars on their operation and maintenance, according to the Canadian military documents. However, Canada has set aside more than half a million dollars to set up bilateral agreements for the military hubs.
- Upgraded tanks arrive in Canada - Sep 14, 2012
- Former fighter pilot named Canadian military chief - Aug 28, 2012
- Canadian troops could remain in Afghanistan beyond 2011: Defence Minister - Nov 08, 2010
- UAE-Canada row over landing rights - Oct 13, 2010
- Canadians divided over Govt's plan to keep soldiers in non-combat role in Afghanistan - Dec 14, 2010
- Canada unveils national mental health strategy - May 09, 2012
- Air Canada ties up with Jet to protect its India traffic - Feb 08, 2011
- Canada plans to resume arms sale to Pakistan - May 21, 2009
- US publicly demands deployment of Canadian troops in Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2010
- Canadian opposition says PM too bullish on Afghan challenge - Jul 10, 2008
- Canada to pull civilian staff from Kandahar, base training mission in Kabul - Nov 17, 2010
- Canadian PM urges G20 Summit to restore market confidence - Oct 19, 2011
- Canada pulls out of NATO surveillance project - Feb 11, 2012
- Vessel carrying Lankan Tamil refugees heading for Canada - Jul 31, 2010
- Pak 'most dangerous country in the world': MacKay - May 12, 2009
Tags: african continent, bilateral agreements, briefing note, canadian military bases, canadian minister, caribbean region, combat missions, defense staff, disaster relief, gordon mackay, government millions, half a million, military documents, military plans, minister of national defense, peace support operations, star general, storing equipment, toronto star newspaper, volatile regions