Can sex hormone dab revive libido in post-menopausal women?January 21st, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 21 (IANS) Could a dab of testosterone gell revive flagging libidos in post-menopausal women? Researchers are testing LibiGel, dubbed the ‘pink Viagra’ on 3,500 women at 50 US locations, under phase III of the clinical trials, a report in Albuquerque Journal quoting Frederick Snoy, a lead investigator at one of the sites, said.
In another study, researchers are enlisting women between the ages of 30 and 65, complaining of lower libido post-surgical menopause (hysterectomy and removal of the ovaries), and recipients of estrogen replacement therapy.
The American Medical Association estimates that 43 percent of women in the US complain of low libido or lack of arousal, pain or discomfort during sex and inability to orgasm.
Pharmaceutical companies have stepped up efforts to find hormone treatments for women. Earlier LibiGel studies and research on testosterone patch called Intrinsa showed increased sexual desire in women.
Earlier, a report in The New England Journal of Medicine said a 300 microgram patch of of testosterone had “modest. . .improvement in sexual function in studies of 814 postmenopausal women not taking estrogen.”
- Low dietary iron lessens brain disease risk - Oct 05, 2011
- Jane Fonda admits that she has a great sex life because of testosterone shots - Aug 23, 2011
- Women facing gynaecologic surgery don't worry about sex - Apr 13, 2010
- Hormone therapies 'up breast cancer metastasis risk in post-menopausal women' - May 07, 2010
- Estrogen not linked to lung cancer mortality in postmenopausal women - Aug 14, 2010
- Most women scheduled for gynaecologic surgery not afraid of its effects on sex - Apr 13, 2010
- 'Viagra effect' from a glass of pomegranate juice - May 04, 2012
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
- Hormone patch to perk up women''s sex drive ''may not work'' - Mar 03, 2009
- Female sex hormone regulates weight - Oct 20, 2011
- Testosterone perks memory in post-menopausal women - Jun 07, 2011
- Estrogen therapy 'ups kidney stones risk' in postmenopausal women - Oct 12, 2010
- Estrogen helps women pile on pounds - Oct 06, 2011
- Antidepressants 'can treat severe depression in menopausal women' - Aug 17, 2010
- Testosterone therapy can overcome male menopause - Oct 03, 2011