Campaigning ends in West Bengal for fourth phase pollingMay 1st, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 1 (IANS) Campaigning for the fourth phase of West Bengal’s assembly elections ended Sunday, as the state geared up for polling in 63 constituencies spread across four districts Tuesday.
Campaigning in the four districts - Howrah, Hooghly, East Midnapore and parts of Burdwan - came to an end at 5 p.m.
Leading political personalities like Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Left Front chairman and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) state secretary Biman Bose, politburo member Sitaram Yechury, Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Vijay Goel were on the campaign trail.
Yesteryear’s Bollywood actress Zeenat Aman had also campaigned for the Trinamool Congress.
As many as 366 candidates, including state Industries Minister Nirupam Sen, Agriculture Minister Naren Dey, Higher Education Minister Sudarshan Roy Chowdhury, Information and Culture Minister Soumendranath Bera and Fire and Emergency Services Minister Pratim Chatterjee, are in contest in the fourth phase.
The CPI-M is contesting in 46 constituencies, the CPI in six, the Trinamool in 59, the Congress in four, Forward Bloc in seven and the BJP in 63.
A total of 1,262,6126 voters will exercise their franchise Tuesday.
Polls for the 294-member assembly, which started April 18, will end May 10. The counting of votes will take place May 13.
- Singur, Nandigram vote in round four of West Bengal polls (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Crucial rural Bengal areas in Tuesday's fourth phase polls - May 02, 2011
- Peaceful voting in fourth round of West Bengal polls (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Singur, Nandigram vote in round four of Bengal polls (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- High turnout in Bengal; Singur, Nandigram vote (Intro Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- High turnout in Bengal; Singur, Nandigram vote (Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- Voting for fourth phase ends, 84.55 percent polling - May 03, 2011
- Polling underway for fourth phase of West Bengal elections - May 03, 2011
- West Bengal polls: 21 percent votes cast in first two hours - May 03, 2011
- Over 84 percent turnout in fourth phase of West Bengal polls - May 03, 2011
- Fourth phase of Assembly polls in West Bengal tomorrow - May 02, 2011
- Bengal polls: Campaigning for fifth phase ends - May 05, 2011
- Campaigning ends for West Bengal polls - May 08, 2011
- West Bengal polls enter fifth phase Saturday - May 06, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bollywood actress, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, fire and emergency services, forward bloc, fourth phase, industries minister, mamata banerjee, midnapore, politburo member, political personalities, railway minister, roy chowdhury, trinamool congress, west bengal, zeenat aman