Campaign for better GDP share for education to begin Feb 17February 3rd, 2010 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) The National Coalition for Education (NCE) will embark on a week-long campaign beginning Feb 17 to demand allocation of six percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) for education.
“We have already communicated our concerns to the finance ministry, ministry of human resource development (HRD), the Planning Commission and the parliamentary standing committee on HRD,” said Ramakant Rai, convenor of NCE.
The NCE is a conglomeration of networks working on right to education.
“During the budget session, children from eight states will march along the Parliament Street with their teachers, representatives of the civil society and a few parliamentarians to press for their demands,” Rai said.
In addition, the campaign will also seek to implement the right to education “in the right spirit”, Rai said.
On Feb 18, the children will walk to the doors of parliamentarians, expressing their concerns.
“Most kids participating in the campaign are from Naxal-affected areas, rescued bonded child labourers, children who dropped out of school and others who have been affected by the government’s inaction on education rights. This will be an opportunity for them to speak their mind,” Rai said.
- Allocate more for education: Kids to president - Feb 17, 2010
- Former child labourers want education to get priority - Oct 27, 2010
- Implement Education Act in its true spirit, kids tell MPs - Feb 22, 2010
- Child protection a neglected area in union budget: NGO - Feb 24, 2011
- After RTE, Haryana students get Rs.15.71 crore fee refund - Nov 13, 2011
- Health ministry faces flak for low allocation, spending - Apr 25, 2012
- States want more funds to spread education (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Poor use by states of Maoist-area funds: Panel - Aug 20, 2010
- UN agencies hail India's education act notification - Apr 20, 2010
- Lok Sabha MPs criticise cartoons in NCERT books - May 14, 2012
- Freedom of expression is contextual, says Kapil Sibal - May 14, 2012
- PM, Chidambaram to meet CMs of Naxal-hit states, to discuss fresh counter-strategy - Jul 14, 2010
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Teacher shortage could hamper universal education goal (For Teacher's Day, Sep 5) - Sep 04, 2010
- Naxal-affected states need an 'integrated action plan': Raman Singh - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: budget session, child labourers, conglomeration, convenor, education rights, finance ministry, gdp, gross domestic product, human resource development, inaction, ministry of human resource, ministry of human resource development, national coalition, nce, New Delhi, parliament, parliament street, parliamentarians, parliamentary standing committee, planning commission