Campaign against harassment of women in RanchiSeptember 16th, 2011 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 16 (IANS) Police have launched a campaign against harassment of women in the Jharkhand capital, stepping up presence at public places and opening helpline numbers for victims to lodge their complaints. Ten youths were arrested during the campaign in the last two days.
The police action came after local media highlighted the growing problem. Last week, two girls were assaulted by boys in separate incidents - one barely escaped being strangulated near St Xavier College Ranchi and the other was beaten up near a shopping complex at Circular Road.
On the basis of media reports, Jharkhand High Court suo moto took up the issue Tuesday and directed the police to take appropriate action against those harassing women.
Ranchi Deputy Commissioner K.K. Soan Friday called a meeting of the school and college authorities and discussed how to check the harassment of women. Police officials also attended the meeting.
“We have launched a drive against harassment of women at different places in Ranchi. The places include schools, colleges, shopping malls and other places. In last two days, ten youths were arrested. We have come out with helpline numbers. Anyone can lodge their complaint on the helpline numbers. The officers in charge of police stations have been issued direction to adopt measures to stop the harassment,” a senior police official told IANS.
Harassment had witnessed a surge in Ranchi, with many youth loitering around schools, colleges and shopping complexes and passing obscene remarks against girls.
- Spurned youth forces girl to drink poison - Sep 27, 2011
- Rajasthan to launch helpline for school kids - Apr 08, 2011
- Bengal girl commits suicide after sexual harassment - Aug 14, 2012
- Tirath plans steps to help northeastern women in Delhi - Oct 28, 2009
- Jharkhand police insensitive, corrupt, says women's panel - Dec 28, 2010
- Support goes up for Anna in scam-hit Jharkhand - Aug 21, 2011
- Now, complain directly to Jharkhand chief minister - Jan 06, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- No helmet, no petrol in Ranchi - Jan 31, 2012
- Anti-ragging vigil as Delhi University opens Wednesday - Jul 20, 2010
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- Women can work round the clock in Gurgaon: Police chief - Mar 15, 2012
- Jharkhand top cop sentenced for assault on judge (Lead) - May 19, 2011
Tags: circular road, college authorities, colleges, deputy commissioner, different places, harassment, helpline numbers, local media, obscene remarks, police action, police official, police officials, police stations, shopping complex, shopping complexes, shopping malls, soan, st xavier college, two girls, women police