Cameron White to be McGain’s replacementOctober 4th, 2008 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 4 (IANS) Cameron White will fill in for injured Bryce McGain in the Australian squad for the four-Test series against India starting in Bangalore next week. The 25-year-old Victorian all-rounder will join the squad Oct 6 in Bangalore, quashing hopes of rookie off-spinner Beau Casson, who was widely considered to be an obvious replacement for McGain.
“We feel that Cameron’s right-arm legspin and experience in Indian conditions, (from) where he has just returned after captaining the Australia A one-day team to a tournament victory, is the correct option and will provide a good balance to our slow bowling attack,” Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, was quoted as saying by Cricinfo.
“Cameron’s bowling has continued to improve over the past year at inter-state level and his powerful batting adds extra depth and versatility to the squad.”
“Cameron has performed well in Australian colours since his return to the one-day international squad earlier this year and he has now been rewarded with inclusion in the Test squad,” he said.
White played for the Bangalore Royal Challengers during the Indian Premiere League (IPL) and was part of the Australian squad during the India tour in 2004.
White has not played a Test for Australia yet although he has played 21 ODIs, the last of which was against Bangladesh in Darwin in September.
- White named as McGains replacement, to join Oz squad on Monday - Oct 04, 2008
- CA rushed in all-rounder Cameron White for Test series in India - Oct 05, 2008
- Axeing of Katich is unfathomable: McGain - Jun 16, 2011
- Australian spinners fail to get confidence vote from colleagues - Dec 23, 2009
- Nannes to join Aussies as standby player for World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- Warnes guru Jenner calls for McGains inclusion in Cape Town Test - Mar 17, 2009
- Axed Krejza has no intention of falling of Oz spin cycle radar - Feb 12, 2010
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Oz selectors tell White he must bowl more to secure Test spot - Nov 14, 2008
- Hodge slams Oz selectors for 'giving Baggy Greens for free' - Dec 14, 2010
- Session with Warne inspired McGain - Sep 13, 2008
- Symonds omitted from Australian squad for India - Sep 12, 2008
- Oz spin coach Jenner surprised at Whites inclusion for India Test series - Oct 06, 2008
- Injured McGain to fly back to Australia - Oct 03, 2008
- Oz selectors spin surprise, pick veteran McGain instead of young Casson - Sep 12, 2008