Cambodia, Thailand begin border talksNovember 11th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Phnom Penh, Nov 11 (Xinhua) Cambodian and Thai officials started a fresh round of border talks in Siem Reap to hammer out an agenda to resolve the standoff over disputed land, media reported Tuesday. “We have moved forward with a big step in resolving the border issue,” Var Kimhong, head of Cambodia’s border committee, was quoted by the Phnom Penh Post as saying.
He added that the two countries would make it a priority to demarcate territory around the 11th-century temple as soon as it is cleared of land mines.
“We have also agreed to determine the location that needs to be measured in area around Preah Vihear temple,” he said.
The three-day talks will end Wednesday with a meeting between the two foreign ministers in the latest bid to resolve the border dispute.
In July, tensions at the Cambodian-Thai border ran high after Cambodia’s ancient Hindu temple Preah Vihear was awarded world heritage status by Unesco, angering nationalists in Thailand who still claim ownership of the site.
The tension later turned into a military stalemate, in which up to 1,000 Cambodian and Thai troops faced off for several weeks.
In 1962, the International Court of Justice decided that the Preah Vihear temple and its surrounding area belong to Cambodia.
- Cambodia favours ceasefire with Thailand under ASEAN aegis - Feb 17, 2011
- Clashes along Thai-Cambodian border resume - Feb 17, 2011
- Cambodian, Thai soldiers again exchange gunfire on Saturday - Apr 30, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to remove troops from disputed border - Sep 16, 2011
- At least 1,500 Cambodian troops leave disputed border with Thailand - Sep 01, 2011
- Thailand denies using chemical weapons against Cambodia - Apr 24, 2011
- UN chief calls on Cambodia, Thailand for ceasefire - Apr 25, 2011
- Three Cambodian soldiers die after eating poisonous mushrooms - Aug 03, 2009
- Thailand denies violating Cambodian territory - Jun 06, 2011
- Cambodia lambasts Google for locating temple on Thai soil - Feb 05, 2010
- Thailand, Cambodia to hold border talks - Aug 12, 2011
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand continue border clashes for the fourth day - Apr 26, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011