Calves of rare Javan Rhino found in IndonesiaDecember 24th, 2008 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Dec 24 (Xinhua) Four calves of Javan Rhinoceros, one the world’s most endangered species, have been found in an Indonesian jungle this week, indicating that they have started breeding and raising hope of saving it from extinction.It is believed that the specie, which is found only in the Ujung Kulon National Park in West Java, could not breed due to unfavourable environmental conditions, said Hadi Alikadri, head of species programme of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Indonesia.
The park is home to some 40-60 Javan Rhinoceroses (Rhinoceros sondaicus).
“Conservationists have found four calves (Javan Rhinoceroses) during a survey this week,” Alikadri said Wednesday, adding that the calves are around four-year old.
He said the finding put the total number of calves that have been born in the last three years to seven.
“The high population of wild bulls coupled with a type of plant widely grown, but disliked by the rhinos, hampered their breeding in the park,” said Alikadri.
“These factors must be reduced. The population of wild bull (around 700) and the amount of the plant must be slashed,” he said.
The Javan Rhino is sensitive to disturbances, which can force them to abort breeding that is limited to just once a year, said Alikadri.
- Discovery of calves raises hope for rare Javan rhino - Dec 25, 2008
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- Javan rhino is extinct in Vietnam - Oct 25, 2011
- Time is running out for Javan Rhinoceros - Mar 06, 2009
- Rhino killed in South Africa - Mar 03, 2012
- Two rhinos translocated to Manas in Assam - Jan 06, 2011
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- White rhino calf born in UAE zoo - Mar 15, 2012
- Conservation efforts help increase Nepal's rhino population - Apr 26, 2011
- 100 threatened animals, plants face extinction by 2020 - Sep 11, 2012
- Dudhwa rhinos fight for turf (With Images) - Oct 11, 2009
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Endangered pheasant species multiply in Himalayan park (With Image) - May 08, 2012
- Rhinos find new home in Dudhwa Sanctury - Dec 03, 2009