California wildfires trigger emergencyOctober 15th, 2008 - 12:38 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Oct 14 (DPA) California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency Tuesday as wildfires roared close to Los Angeles killing two people, destroying dozens of structures and forcing thousands to flee.The Senson and Marek fires burnt over 4,000 hectares in the mountains that ring the San Fernando Valley just north of Los Angeles, sending up huge plumes of thick grey smoke that were visible from the city.
A third fire burnt a further 800 hectares at Camp Pendleton, a massive Marine base near San Diego.
More than 2,000 firefighters were trying to battle the blazes, aided by dozens of water-dropping aircraft, authorities said.
The Marek fire was the first major blaze of the autumn season, which is traditionally the most dangerous wildfire period in the region. Hot Santa Ana winds gust in from the deserts to the east and whip the smallest sparks into uncontrollable infernos.
The fires had burnt at least 30 homes and dozens of commercial structures Tuesday. One person died when his car smashed into other vehicles that were forced to stop when the fire shut down a freeway. The second fatality occurred when the person got trapped in a makeshift shelter.
Fire officials warned Tuesday that without a let up in the wind the fire could burn all the way to the Pacific coast, some 25 km away.
“The fire wants to make its way to the coast, and we’re going to do our level best to stop it,” said Los Angeles fire department spokesman Brian Humphrey. “Two-thirds of our department is on the line.”
Schwarzenegger warned communities in the path of the fire to be prepared for the worst and to evacuate immediately when asked.
“Winds are causing fire conditions to change by the hour, which is why it is so important that residents in the areas surrounding these wildfires heed warnings from public safety officials to evacuate,” he said.
- 200 homes evacuated due to wildfire in US - Aug 25, 2010
- WildFire Engulfs Parts Of Palmdale, Hundreds Evacuated - Jul 30, 2010
- California wildfire rages, only 5 percent contained - Sep 02, 2009
- California wildfires spread, 30,000 forced to flee (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- California wildfire doubles in size, threatens 12,000 homes - Sep 01, 2009
- Firefighters get California blazes under control - Nov 19, 2008
- Schwarzenegger declares fire emergency in Los Angeles - Aug 29, 2009
- Thousands flee raging California fires - May 08, 2009
- Wildfire destroys hundreds of homes in Texas - Sep 06, 2011
- Wildfire near US nuclear laboratory spreads - Jun 30, 2011
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Hundreds evacuated in Chile forest fire - Jan 03, 2012
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- Firefighters gain on California fire (Lead) - May 10, 2009
- 'All hell' breaks loose in California wildfire - May 09, 2009