Cabinet’s nod to e-visa, immigration projectMay 13th, 2010 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The union cabinet Thursday approved an over Rs.1,000 crore e-project to streamline and integrate visa, immigration and foreigners registration and tracking process.
The core objective of the Rs.1,011-crore project to be undertaken by the home ministry under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) “is to develop and implement a secure and integrated service delivery framework that facilitates legitimate travellers while strengthening security”, an official statement said.
The project was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs at a meeting here chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
It has a global outreach since the scope of the project includes 169 missions, 78 Immigration Check Posts, seven Foreigners Regional Registration Offices, and Foreigners Registration Offices in state and district headquarters across the country.
The project is targeted to be completed by September 2014.
“Of the total project cost, Rs.132 crore is proposed to be spent during April 2010- June 2011 with the remaining amount of Rs.879 crore ear-marked for July 2011-September 2014,” the statement said
The National Institute for Smart Government (NSIG) had been tasked with the responsibility for generating a comprehensive e-governance solution for the immigration, visa issuance and foreigners’ registration and tracking functions, and to prepare a detailed project report for the same.
The report about the scope of the project, solution design, manpower requirements, implementation and the cost estimates has been finalised by NSIG in consultation with the home ministry, external affairs ministry, Department of Information Technology, Bureau of Immigration and the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Cabinet approves modernisation plan for immigration services - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet nod for e-visa, immigration project (Lead) - May 13, 2010
- UP to pilot national single window for investors - Jun 07, 2012
- Planning Commission approves Rs.1,011 crore for Mission Mode Project on IVFRT - Oct 30, 2009
- Three-year extension to criminal tracking network - Jun 14, 2012
- Three-year extension to criminal tracking network (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Indian project to track foreigners begins with Bangladesh - Nov 17, 2009
- Apex committee on National E-Governance Plan to meet today - Jul 16, 2010
- 1,011 cr Mission Mode Project on IVFoRT making good progress: Govt. - Sep 01, 2010
- Passport officers' meet to kick off Tuesday - Nov 27, 2011
- Home ministry gets Rs.55,500 crore, 17 pc hike in budget (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Cabinet panel clears Monsoon Mission - Apr 26, 2012
- 134 urban development schemes cleared for northeast - Sep 18, 2011
- Delhi approves e-registration for property transactions - Nov 22, 2011
- Healthcare insurance portal snag rectified: Wipro - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: bureau of immigration, core objective, external affairs ministry, global outreach, governance plan, immigration project, immigration visa, information technology bureau, manmohan singh, manpower requirements, national informatics centre, national informatics centre nic, negp, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, project solution, regional registration, registration offices, visa immigration, visa issuance