Cabinet approves repair of Tamil houses in Sri LankaDecember 1st, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) The cabinet Thursday approved reconstruction and repair of 49,000 houses for internally displaced persons (IDPs) and for Indian-origin Tamils in Sri Lanka.
According to an official press release, the decision will result in an expenditure of Rs.1,319 crore.
It said the project will primarily be implemented under the owner-driven model as part of which beneficiaries will undertake reconstruction work and funds will be released into their bank accounts based on certification of work.
Construction of 49,000 houses for resettlement and rehabilitation of internally displaced persons in Sri Lanka is part of the overall commitment announced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during the visit of Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa in June 2010.
A pilot project for the construction of 1,000 houses in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka is already under implementation.
- India to fund development projects in Lanka (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Rajapaksa has given firm commitment to empower Tamils: Krishna - Jan 20, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- India reassures Sri Lankan Tamils of speedy resettlement - Sep 02, 2010
- Krishna to push for political settlement of Tamil issue (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka assures India of speedy rehabilitation of displaced Tamils - Jun 09, 2010
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka assures India of political settlement, 7 pacts signed (Roundup) - Jun 09, 2010
- India to build houses for Sri Lanka's displaced Tamils - Jun 09, 2010
- India, Sri Lanka agree on JWG meeting to resolve fishermen issue - Nov 11, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka take ties to new heights (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Krishna wins Sri Lankan Tamil hearts with rehabilitation aid - Jan 19, 2012
- India for quicker resettlement of Tamils - Mar 08, 2010
- Krishna in Sri Lanka, to push for devolution (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: beneficiaries, driven model, indian origin, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, northern province, pilot project, president mahinda rajapaksa, Press Release, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reconstruction work, resettlement, rs 1, sri lanka, sri lankan president, tamils, work construction