Cabinet approves Indian National Defence UniversityMay 13th, 2010 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The cabinet Thursday sanctioned Rs.295 crore for establishing an Indian National Defence University (INDU) to create synergy between existing institutes of learning in the sector and address strategic security challenges.
“The union cabinet has accorded in-principle approval for setting up of INDU as a fully autonomous institution to be constituted under an act of parliament at an estimated cost of Rs.295 crore,” Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters after a cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The cabinet also accorded approval for acquisition of 200 acres of land at Binola in Haryana’s Gurgaon district for the proposed site of INDU at an estimated cost of Rs.100 crore, Soni added.
“INDU will undertake long-term defence and strategic studies and create synergy between the academic community and government functionaries,” the minister said.
“It will promote policy oriented research on all aspects relating to national security as an input to strategic national policy making.
“It will encourage awareness of national security issues by reaching out to scholars and an audience beyond the official machinery.
“INDU will also educate national security leaders on aspects of national security strategy, national military strategy, national information strategy and national technology strategy through teaching and research,” Soni added.
The establishment of INDU was one of the recommendations made by a committee headed by eminent security analyst K. Subrahmaniam after the 1999 Kargil conflict with Pakistan.
- Finally, government approves national defence university - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet approves plan to set up of the Indian National Defence University - May 13, 2010
- Finally, national defence university gets government nod (Second Lead) - May 13, 2010
- India's defence varsity by 2017 - May 21, 2012
- Indian National Defence University to be set up in Gurgaon - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet nod for defence varsity in Gurgaon - Apr 26, 2012
- Escalated cost of automobile testing centres approved - Apr 28, 2011
- Cabinet clears Rs.200 crore for water in Bundelkhand - May 19, 2011
- Arunachal gets Himalayan cultures studies centre - May 20, 2010
- Combat jet order: India to announce winner early in 2012 - Dec 26, 2011
- Non-gazetted rail staff to get 78-day festival bonus - Sep 30, 2011
- Rs.70 bn compensation to states on account of reduced sales tax - Feb 10, 2011
- Cabinet clears Rs.7,000 crore to clean Ganga - Apr 28, 2011
- Pharmacopoeia commission for traditional medicine approved - May 13, 2010
- Over Rs.5,000 crore more approved for defence network - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: act of parliament, ambika soni, autonomous institution, cabinet meeting, crore, gurgaon district, kargil conflict, manmohan singh, national defence, national information strategy, national military strategy, national security issues, national security leaders, national security strategy, national technology, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, security analyst, strategic security, union cabinet