Cabinet approves guidelines for Internet Protocol TVAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) The cabinet Thursday approved guidelines for providing Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) services in the country.The cabinet also approved amendments to the policy guidelines for downlinking of TV channels to allow broadcasters to provide content to IPTV service providers, Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi said.
IPTV is a technology which has the capability to delivers digital television signals in form of packets over the Internet to the recipient which can be decoded using a Set Top Box (STB).
“The issuing of guidelines on IPTV will bring clarity on defining the parameters in which such service providers will work, as also clarify how these services are going to be regulated,” Dasmunsi told reporters after a cabinet meeting here presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“Modification of the downlinking guidelines will enable IPTV service providers obtain content of registered satellite TV channels from the broadcasters,” the minister added.
Two public sector telecom companies, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) and the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL), have already started IPTV delivery in the country using a broadband connection.
Airtel also launched similar services on a pilot basis some time ago in Gurgaon in the National Capital Region.
Reliance Communications (RCom) - the Internet and telephony arm of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG)- also has plans to launch similar services in the country.
Company president Mahesh Prasad had reportedly said that the company would initiate IPTV services before the end of 2008. RCom late last year had announced IPTV collaboration with Microsoft.
RCom’s parent group ADAG Tuesday also launched its direct-to-home or DTH services under the Big TV brand.
- FDI limit hike proposed in broadcasting sector - Aug 09, 2011
- Government approves modified HITS guidelines - Dec 17, 2009
- BIG CBS signs distribution deal with Big TV - Sep 18, 2010
- DTH customers hit by Insat-4B power glitch - Jul 10, 2010
- Inetrnet TV guidelines unveiled - Sep 08, 2008
- Now comes Thrill channel, thanks to BIG RTL - Apr 30, 2012
- Government amends rules to toughen entry for TV channels - Oct 07, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to tax DTH firms, IPL matches - Sep 14, 2011
- 'Doordarshan to earn Rs.300 crore from ad sales during CWG' - Sep 08, 2010
- Broadcasters will be consulted on new TV guidelines: Soni - Oct 10, 2011
- TRAI move on STB interoperability receives mixed response - Sep 17, 2010
- Malayalam IPTV channel launched for expatriates - May 11, 2011
- Doordarshan DTH platform expansion to benefit viewers - Jun 09, 2011
- Videocon d2h launches satellite LCDs - Sep 14, 2010
- Dish Freedom - switch providers without changing set-top box - Aug 29, 2011