Cabbies cheating foreigners at Mumbai airport nabbedAugust 21st, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 21 (IANS) Two cabbies involved in targeting and cheating foreigners arriving at Mumbai airport were arrested Thursday, police said. The police swung into action after two Belgians - Fondrim Morphy and Sean Patten - who arrived here by a Jet Airways flight from Kolkata Aug 7, complained they had been cheated by a cabbie, Joint Police Commisioner (Crime) Rakesh Maria said.
The duo stepped out of the airport and waved down a cab to take them to south Mumbai, around 20 kms away. The cabby demanded $200 as fare.
When Morphy and Patten said they did not have that amount in foreign currency, the cabby took them to a nearby ATM machine. The duo withdrew Rs.20,000 and handed it over to the cabby, who immediately sped off, leaving them stranded.
After a couple of days, the duo complained to the Belgian Embassy in New Delhi, which sent a request to Mumbai police to help in the matter, Maria added.
Crime branch sleuths investigated many cabbies operating in the airport area before zeroing on Yasin Ehsaan Qureshi (30) and Abdul Gaffar Hamidali Khan (42) as the culprits.
The police also traced the cab in which the Belgians had travelled. Qureshi and Khan have confessed that they usually targeted gullible foreign tourists and cheated them of cash.
- New York City's Cabbies In Trouble For Doubling Fare - Sep 23, 2010
- Grover killing: Maharashtra appeals for stringent punishment - Oct 05, 2011
- Woman posing as PMO official arrested - Jan 25, 2012
- Can anyone make Goa's cabbies charge by meter? (Letter from Goa) - May 03, 2012
- Two Dawood Ibrahim aides arrested in Mumbai - Jun 25, 2010
- Now, cabbies, maids can learn while they earn - Mar 05, 2012
- Five robbers arrested - Sep 24, 2011
- Law catches up with screen villian - Jan 09, 2012
- Indian cabbies in Brisbane protest over discrimination - Jun 07, 2010
- Police, immigration officers crackdown on Brisbane taxi drivers - Jun 11, 2010
- Hyderabad police book PVR Mall owners - Feb 29, 2012
- Cameron to rioters: You will feel full force of law - Aug 09, 2011
- Cheating touts giving Rajasthan's tourism a bad name - Apr 11, 2011
- Belgium declares day of mourning after bus crash - Mar 15, 2012
- 'Pakistan undecided about talks with India' - Dec 09, 2010