Bypoll to South Kolkata Lok Sabha seat Nov 30November 1st, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 1 (IANS) The bypoll for West Bengal’s high profile South Kolkata Lok Sabha constituency which fell vacant after Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee resigned the seat will be held Nov 30, the poll panel said Tuesday.
“The Kolkata Dakshin (South Kolkata) Lok Sabha Constituency will go for bypoll on Nov 30. The counting of votes will take place on Dec 4. The notification will be issued on Nov 5,” said a statement issued by Election Commission of India.
Banerjee has been winning elections from this seat since 1991.
The Lok Sabha constituency fell vacant after Banerjee resigned as MP and successfully fought the assembly by-elections from Bhowanipore for her maiden entry into the state legislature.
The constituency, which houses Banerjee’s spartan residence in a dingy lane of Kalighat, is considered her pocket borough as it has been a traditional support base of Trinamool Congress.
Banerjee had won by a whopping margin of 219,571 votes over Communist Party of India-Marxist candidate Rabin Deb in the 2009 general elections.
- Trinamool fields Subrata Bakshi for Lok Sabha by-poll - Nov 02, 2011
- CPI-M student leader to contest Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 03, 2011
- Over 51 percent vote in Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 30, 2011
- Mamata's pet Lok Sabha seat goes to polls - Nov 29, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- 50 percent voting in Mamata bypoll - Sep 25, 2011
- Mamata to fight Bhowanipore assembly seat Sep 25 (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Mamata woos voters through Rabindra sangeet - Sep 18, 2011
- Trinamool workers canvass door-to-door for 'Didi' - Sep 11, 2011
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- Left pits woman professor against Mamata - Sep 01, 2011
- Mamata wins Kolkata South - May 16, 2009
- Mamata' looks clear favourite in by-election (Curtain raiser) - Sep 24, 2011
- Mamata resigns from Lok Sabha - Oct 08, 2011
- Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24 - May 23, 2012
Tags: chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dakshin, deb, election commission of india, general elections, kalighat, kolkata, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, nov 1, nov 5, rabin, sabha constituency, spartan, state legislature, trinamool congress, west bengal, winning elections