Businessman shot dead, two injured in Delhi shootouts

July 9th, 2008 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) Two armed men Tuesday fired nine bullets at a 52-year-old businessman, killing him, and escaped with Rs.135,000 in east Delhi, while in old Delhi two brothers were critically injured when their neighbours shot at them, the police said Tuesday. Mahesh Kapoor was going to a bank to deposit Rs.135,000 when two unidentified men stopped him on the busy ITO intersection and asked him to hand over the money around 2 p.m.

When Kapoor refused and resisted, they pumped nine bullets into him. The robbers, who were wearing helmets, then tried to snatch a motorbike from a passerby to flee from the spot. But when they failed, they fired many rounds in the air to scare people, who were trying to nab them.

The accused then fled with cash, while Kapoor, who owned a showroom on Vikas Marg, was rushed to a nearby hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.

The shopkeepers staged a demonstration for nearly half-an-hour and blocked the vehicular movement on Vikas Marg.

In another shootout, Tariq, 28, and Tyab, 30, suffered bullet injuries after their neighbour opened fire at them in Ballimaran area of Chandni Chowk area in old Delhi late Monday night.

“The incident was the fallout of personal enmity as the victims’ younger brother Sadiq had eloped with the niece of one of the assailant, Zaregam, last year,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (North Delhi) Devesh Srivastva told IANS.

The tension that was building up between the two neighbours for one-and-half years finally resulted in a shootout when the eloped couple returned to their homes a few days ago with their baby.

On Monday Zaregam, his brother Salim and their nephews Vasim and Kasim went to Sadiq’s home on the pretext of reaching a compromise.

They called Tariq and Tayab outside their house and fired at them.

Tariq sustained three bullet injuries - two in abdomen and one on the ear, while Tayab was hit with two bullets - one in abdomen and one in face. Both were admitted to the Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Hospital, where their condition was stated to be critical.

Srivastva said a case has been registered against five people.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |