Businessman shot dead in capital (Lead)February 22nd, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) A businessman was shot dead in broad daylight in the heart of the capital Sunday and the police suspected a financial dispute prompted the killing.
Unidentified assailants shot at Ankit Minocha, a resident of Mehrauli, and three of his friends as their car passed by the Buddha Jayanti Park in New Delhi district at about 1.30 p.m.
“The victim was taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre where he was declared brought dead. He suffered bullet injury in his head,” a police official said.
The police were carrying out forensic examination of the crime scene, where blood had spilled on the road and smeared the victim’s black Santro car.
“Nearly seven-eight rounds of bullets were fired during the gun battle. The assailants have managed to flee in their Indica car. The southwest district police have also been alerted as the assailants are suspected to have fled there,” the official said.
“The victim’s friends escaped after leaving Minocha at the hospital. However, it is not clear whether they were also armed or not,” the official added.
The police suspected a financial dispute between Minocha and another businessman, identified as Sushil Arora, whom the victim had lent Rs.1 million.
“Our initial probe shows that the incident took place when Minocha was coming back from Arora’s house in Karol Bagh area. He had reportedly asked Arora to return his money or face dire consequences,” the official added.
“The assailants might have been sent by Arora. But nothing can be said as of now,” he further said. The police were looking for Arora, he said.
- Businessman shot dead in Delhi's Ridge area (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2009
- Businessman shot dead in Delhi's Ridge area (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2009
- No headway in Delhi businessman's shooting in Ridge area - Feb 23, 2009
- Delhi Ridge murder-suspect car dealer in police custody - Feb 24, 2009
- Husband of village pradhan shot dead - Sep 23, 2011
- Principal shot at in Noida - Jul 29, 2012
- Depressed businessman commits suicide - Dec 15, 2011
- Cousin held for siblings' murder (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Delhi honour killing claims another victim (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Housewife shot at her house - Nov 09, 2011
- Three shot dead on Uttar Pradesh highway - Jul 03, 2012
- Businessman's guard arrested for opening fire - Nov 17, 2011
- Two government officials shot dead in Bihar - Mar 02, 2012
- Trader robbed of jewellery worth Rs.15 lakhs - Jan 30, 2010
- 14-year-old commits suicide - Aug 26, 2012