Businessman Hasan Ali arrested in Mumbai in fake passport caseDecember 15th, 2008 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 15 (IANS) Multi-millionaire Pune businessman and stud farm owner Hasan Ali was arrested and sent to jail till Dec 19 in connection with a fake passport case, the police said.An official of the Worli police station told IANS that Ali, who was declared a “proclaimed offender” by the Bhoiwada court in May this year, has been nabbed for holding three fake passports which were acquired from Mumbai, Hyderabad and Patna.
He had applied for two more passports from Chandigarh and Guwahati, following which a case was registered early 2008, the official said.
Shortly thereafter, Ali applied for anticipatory bail, which was rejected by the Bombay High Court.
Thereafter, he neither moved the Supreme Court nor surrendered, prompting the Worli police to approach Bhoiwada court to declare him a proclaimed offender, which would enable the police to seize his property after the court’s permission.
To avoid this, the proclaimed offender must surrender to the police and face the charges.
Ali (55) was also on the watch-list of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) for alleged involvement in a Rs.100 billion ‘hawala’ (illicit money transfer) scam. It registered a case against Ali in January 2007.
Ali was also under the scanner of the Mumbai Police, Income Tax department, Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) through its passport offices in different cities.
- Government examining Hasan Ali's case: Mukherjee - Jan 25, 2011
- Former cricketer sent to police custody for immigration racket (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Himachal cop for graft - Jun 16, 2011
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
- More trouble for Kanda, could face charges in cheque bounce case - Aug 30, 2012
- Delhi Police arrests former cricketer wanted in human trafficking case - Apr 27, 2011
- Two Rajasthan cops surrender in Dara Singh killing - Jul 30, 2012
- Rajasthan IPS officer surrenders in Dara Singh case - Feb 28, 2012
- Kolkata fire: Three AMRI directors seek anticipatory bail (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Police get more time to probe why Kanda ignored warrant - Aug 31, 2012
- Abu Jundal sent to police custody till July 31 (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Tapuriah granted anticipatory bail - Jun 13, 2011
- NRIs welcome rule relaxation for surrendering passports (NRI Watch) - Jul 04, 2011
- Bail plea of former Indian cricketer rejected - Apr 08, 2011
- Kanda's brother gets bail in dud cheque case (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012