Bush welcomes G20 leaders for critical financial summitNovember 15th, 2008 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 15 (DPA) US President George W. Bush greeted leaders from the world’s 20 top economies Saturday for an historic summit aimed at stabilizing the financial system and halting a global economic slide.Bush, in a brief statement, said he was pleased with the early results after leaders held a working dinner Friday night, but again warned against nations restricting free markets and trade as a result of the financial crisis.
“I am pleased that we’re discussing a way forward to make sure that such a crisis is unlikely to occur again. And I am pleased that the leaders reaffirmed the principled behind open markets and free trade,” said Bush, as he welcomed leaders at Washington’s National Building Museum.
According to a draft of the final declaration, world leaders were expected to sign an agreement that will close all gaps in the regulation of world finance markets.
Finance ministers have been given a deadline of March 31 to hammer out the specifics, followed by another summit of the G20 leaders at a later date. The next summit is most likely to be held in London, but a formal announcement was expected later Saturday.
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- India, Britain to explore more business opportunities - Jul 29, 2010
- Manmohan Singh heads for Cannes Wednesday for G20 Summit - Nov 01, 2011
- G-20 leaders to decide future mandate in Toronto - Jun 22, 2010
- Hope G20 can help end global economic crisis: PM - Jun 18, 2012
- India can help in Eurozone crisis: Montek - Nov 03, 2011
- Global economic situation, status of world recovery to be reviewed at G-20 Summit in Seoul, says Rao - Nov 09, 2010
- BRICS ministers to discuss trade, investment - Mar 27, 2012
- G8 summit begins - Jun 26, 2010
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
- PM to press for resolute action to buck eurozone crisis - Jun 16, 2012
- India to focus on infrastructure-led growth at G20 (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- G20 leaders begin historic summit to combat global crisis (Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- BRICS seeks revamp in global monetary system (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
- Tokyo declaration on Afghanistan backs India's concerns on terror - Jul 08, 2012