Bush ‘understands’ Iraq’s concerns over security pact: IraqJune 19th, 2008 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 19 (DPA) US President George Bush told Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari that he understood the ongoing disagreements in Iraq over a bilateral deal on US military presence in the country, a foreign ministry statement said Thursday. In a meeting with Zebari in Washington, Bush expressed “US respect for Iraq’s sovereignty and the will of its people,” a statement issued by Iraq’s foreign ministry said.
Bush said he understood concerns expressed by the Iraqi government in negotiations over an agreement to provide a legal basis for troops to stay in Iraq after a UN mandate expires Dec 31, according to the statement carried by the Voices of Iraq news agency.
The agreement on the status of US forces has caused a controversy and protests in Iraq over the issues of how much powers the forces would have and a US demand for immunity from prosecution for independent contractors working in Iraq.
Last week, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said the talks had reached an impasse. A few days later, Zebari told Al Jazeera television that progress was being made towards finalizing a deal by July.
Zebari said the US accepted the demand that the agreement would not include immunity for contractors.
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- Biden arrives in Iraq to mark combat end - Aug 31, 2010
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- Vice President Joe Biden Lands In Iraq To Commemorate End Of Combat Operations - Aug 31, 2010
- Iraq warns of Syrian crisis' consequences - Jun 24, 2012
- Rival edges past al-Maliki in Iraq's vote count - Mar 20, 2010
- Iraq to help in solving Syrian crisis - Jul 11, 2012
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- US committed to withdraw troops from Iraq by end of 2011: Biden - Jan 14, 2011
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Qaeda planning suicide attacks across Europe, US during Christmas - Dec 16, 2010
- Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Iraq PM Maliki stays in power for second term with help of tentative deal - Nov 11, 2010