Bush rules out talks with Cuba’s new presidentFebruary 29th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Feb 29 (IANS) US President George W. Bush has said he would not hold talks with Cuba’s new leader Raul Castro unless a real transition to democracy takes place in the communist-ruled nation, EFE news agency reported Friday. In a press conference, Bush said a meeting with Castro would send “a wrong message” to human rights defenders and may serve to enhance the standing of a “tyrant”.
Bush said, the US will continue to pursue its current policy and maintain its 45-year-old economic embargo on Cuba until Havana begins to move towards freedom.
Raul Castro, 76, became Cuba’s president Sunday, succeeding his ailing 81-year-old brother Fidel Castro.
“Sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him,” Bush said.
In his first address to the National Assembly as president, Castro said Sunday the country has a priority to satisfy the basic needs of the population. The government is considering revaluing the Cuban currency peso to give state workers more purchasing power.
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- `Lack of hard currency Cuba's most pressing problem' - Jan 12, 2010
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- First cargo ship arrives in Havana from Miami in 50 years - Jul 14, 2012
- Cuba to free 52 political prisoners - Jul 08, 2010
- Cuba says it's ready for dialogue with US - Sep 27, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012