Bush invites Manmohan Singh to White House Sep 25September 11th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 11 (IANS) After asking Congress to approve the India-US civil nuclear deal, President George Bush Thursday invited Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the White House Sep 25 to strengthen the bilateral partnership in other areas.”The president is pleased to approve the US-India Agreement for Peaceful Nuclear Cooperation (also known as the 123 Agreement),” the White House said hours after Bush sent the implementing accord to the legislature.
“The president looks forward to working with Congress to ensure passage on the agreement this year,” it said in a statement as officials led by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice kept up the push to hasten the approval process.
“The conclusion of this agreement, which completes the US-India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative, has been a priority for both President Bush and Prime Minister Singh, and strengthens the US-India Strategic Partnership,” it said.
“This historic achievement will bolster international non-proliferation efforts, provide economic and business opportunities in both countries, and help India address its growing energy needs in an environmentally responsible manner.
“The president also looks forward to welcoming Prime Minister Singh to the White House on Sep 25, 2008, to strengthen the Strategic Partnership and build upon our progress in other areas of cooperation, such as agriculture, education, trade, and defence,” the White House statement added.
- US firmly supports clean waiver to India: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- US presses India for nuclear level playing field - Dec 13, 2011
- US must support India's UN council membership: Ex-diplomats - Nov 05, 2010
- Obama to attend Krishna reception to underscore India ties - May 30, 2010
- White House issues fact sheets on Obama's India visit - Nov 09, 2010
- Building strong economic plank key to taking US-India strategic ties forward: Official - Jan 28, 2011
- Obama names Clinton as certification authority of Indo-U.S. civilian nuclear deal - Mar 11, 2010
- PM in Seoul next week for n-security summit - Mar 21, 2012
- Krishna heads for first India-US strategic dialogue (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- Bush invitation to PM a pointer to fast n-deal approval (Lead) - Sep 11, 2008
- Manmohan Singh, Obama to meet Sunday - Apr 10, 2010
- India signs civil nuclear deal with South Korea (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Democrats to continue long-term strategic partnership with India - Sep 05, 2012
- Breakthrough on n-deal boosts India-US ties - Jun 14, 2012
- US firmly supports NSG clean waiver to India (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011