Bush endorses pause in troop withdrawals

April 11th, 2008 - 12:49 am ICT by admin  

Washington, April 10 (DPA) US President George W. Bush Thursday endorsed the recommendation of his top commander in Iraq to halt troop withdrawals once the surge ends in July, leaving open the possibility that 140,000 soldiers will still be in Iraq when he leaves office. Bush offered his strong support to General David Petraeus, who called for a 45-day pause in troop reductions after the build-up ends to assess the effect of the increased US presence ordered last year by the president to quell violence and sectarian killings.

“I have told him he’ll have all the time he needs” to determine whether additional cuts can take place, Bush said.

Bush, acknowledging the strain on the US military, said he was ordering a 12-month limit to deployments in Iraq, reducing the length of troop rotations from 15 months.

Bush’s speech came after Petraeus, along with ambassador Ryan Crocker, Wednesday completed two days of testimony before Congress to outline the progress made in Iraq since the troop surge came into full effect last summer.

Bush said under the troop build-up, the US and Iraqi governments have regained the initiative, sectarian violence has dropped and Al Qaeda was on the defensive and “we’re now working to deliver a crippling blow”.

“With the surge, a major strategic shift has occurred,” Bush said.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |