Bush endorses pause in troop withdrawalsApril 11th, 2008 - 12:49 am ICT by admin
Washington, April 10 (DPA) US President George W. Bush Thursday endorsed the recommendation of his top commander in Iraq to halt troop withdrawals once the surge ends in July, leaving open the possibility that 140,000 soldiers will still be in Iraq when he leaves office. Bush offered his strong support to General David Petraeus, who called for a 45-day pause in troop reductions after the build-up ends to assess the effect of the increased US presence ordered last year by the president to quell violence and sectarian killings.
“I have told him he’ll have all the time he needs” to determine whether additional cuts can take place, Bush said.
Bush, acknowledging the strain on the US military, said he was ordering a 12-month limit to deployments in Iraq, reducing the length of troop rotations from 15 months.
Bush’s speech came after Petraeus, along with ambassador Ryan Crocker, Wednesday completed two days of testimony before Congress to outline the progress made in Iraq since the troop surge came into full effect last summer.
Bush said under the troop build-up, the US and Iraqi governments have regained the initiative, sectarian violence has dropped and Al Qaeda was on the defensive and “we’re now working to deliver a crippling blow”.
“With the surge, a major strategic shift has occurred,” Bush said.
- US pushing to complete largest movement of military material from Iraq to Afghanistan - Apr 03, 2010
- Democrats not persuaded by US commander's testimony on Iraq - Apr 10, 2008
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- US likely to keep 10,000 troops in Iraq - Apr 22, 2011
- US looking for more troops cut in Iraq, top commander says - Apr 10, 2008
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Obama to end US combat role in Iraq by August 2010 (Lead) - Feb 28, 2009
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- After 4,400 deaths, US ends combat in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- US Senate confirms Petraeus to lead CIA - Jul 01, 2011
- Iraq: six years after end may be in sight for US - Mar 20, 2009
- Ex-foreign minister Aziz calls on US troops to stay in Iraq - Aug 06, 2010
- Relatives Iraqi war victims to raise judicial case against former President Bush - Jun 17, 2011
- 'Only 17,000 US soldiers left in Iraq' - Nov 25, 2011