Bush calls Musharraf, reaffirms supportFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 12:07 am ICT by admin
Islamabad, Feb 21 (IANS) US President George W. Bush congratulated Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf Thursday on the peaceful conduct of polls and reiterated US support to his policies, Online news agency reported. During the 20-minute telephone call, which Bush made from aboard a flight from Rwanda to Ghana, both leaders discussed regional and international issues, foreign office spokesman M. Sadiq said.
The US President expressed hope that the elections would bring political stability in Pakistan that would be helpful in the war against terrorism.
Bush said that the US supports President Musharraf’s policies and he has been a close and helpful ally in the war against terrorism.
The US President also urged the winning parties to work with Musharraf.
Musharraf thanked the US President for the call and assured him that he would work “with any party and any coalition because that is in the interest of Pakistan”.
White House press secretary Dana Perino confirmed the call but did not give any details.
She said that President Bush has supported Musharraf all along because he “helped Pakistan on its path to democracy” and has been an ally in the war against terror.
- A last tango between Washington and Islamabad? (Comment) - Dec 27, 2011
- Afghanistan a proxy war between India, Pakistan: Musharraf - Oct 07, 2011
- Trusting Musharraf was a strategic failure: Former CIA analyst - Sep 08, 2011
- Pakistan's political crisis hints at possibility of change - Jan 05, 2011
- ISI not supporting Taliban, claims Musharraf - Oct 11, 2010
- Kayani's extension beneficial for Pakistan: Musharraf - Jul 25, 2010
- Pakistan daily fears UN sanctions over `strategic assets' - May 03, 2012
- US doesn't have permission for drone strikes: Gilani - Oct 30, 2011
- 9/11 transformed South Asia geopolitics (10th anniversary of 9/11) - Sep 09, 2011
- The WikiLeaks expose: A wake up call for India - Jul 29, 2010
- 'Musharraf will be arrested if he returns' - Jan 27, 2012
- Musharraf has "very slim chances" of winning democratic elections in Pak: Holbrooke - Nov 18, 2010
- Did Pakistan know of US raid to kill Osama? - May 02, 2011
- Pak caught between a 'rock and hard place' in 'tug of war' with US: Editorial - Apr 15, 2011
- Musharraf says Osama raid was technically an act of war - May 25, 2011