Bush approved raids into Pakistan: ReportSeptember 11th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 11 (DPA) US military special forces have been given approval by President George W. Bush to mount ground attacks inside Pakistan against terrorist and Afghan insurgent targets, The New York Times reported Thursday on its website.The orders were given in July, the newspaper reported, citing senior US officials speaking on condition of anonymity.
The orders expand existing US policy to carry out airstrikes inside Pakistan using unmanned drone aircraft against targets of Al Qaeda, the terrorist network led by Osama bin Laden.
Al Qaeda and the ousted Afghan militant regime that continues to mount an insurgent campaign, Taliban have continued to operate from safe havens inside Pakistan’s tribal regions bordering Afghanistan.
The Times quoted one US official as calling conditions in Pakistan’s tribal areas “not tolerable.”
Navy commandos conducted a ground raid last week inside Pakistan without seeking permission and notified the US ally only after the incursion.
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- US drone attack kills 13 in Pakistan (Lead, changing dateline - Aug 24, 2010
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- US drone attack kills six in Pakistan - Sep 20, 2010
- "Only Pakistan will determine when to launch North Waziristan operation": Haqqani - Jan 13, 2011
- US drone strike kills four militants in North Waziristan - Mar 16, 2011
- US sends drones to hunt for Al Qaeda in Yemen - Nov 07, 2010
- Ignoring Pakistan, US defends drone strikes - May 01, 2012
- Pak snubs 'impatient' US' demands for expanding areas for CIA drone operations - Nov 20, 2010
- Public anger over US drone attacks could endanger Americans in Pak, says Pak diplomat - Oct 08, 2010
- US drone attacks kill 24 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- US drone attacks kill 21 in Pakistan (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Obama confirms Pakistan drone strikes - Jan 31, 2012
- U.S. drone strikes kill 17 people in Pakistan's North Waziristan - Dec 28, 2010
- US drone attack kills 11 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010