Bush announces second rescue package for banksOctober 14th, 2008 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 14 (DPA) US President George W. Bush announced Tuesday government plans to pump $250 billion in the American banking sector, following similar action announced by several European governments the day before.The goal is to revive the financial sector and restore the economy back on the road to growth, Bush said in a brief televised statement in Washington.
The purchase of shares and stakes in banking institutes would be “short-term measure” towards stabilising the markets, Bush said. The banks can then later repurchase their stakes from the state.
But Bush cautioned that it would take some time until all the state measures towards stabilising the financial sector and economy would have their full effect.
According to US media reports, the government buy-in would include nine of the largest financial concerns including Citigroup, Bank of America and JP Morgan Chase. The broadcaster CNBC said that the state might potentially buy in to thousands of banks.
Bush’s announcement follows the concerted actions announced by several European governments Monday for massive financial infusions to shore up the financial sector.
In the aftermath, stock markets around the world rallied with huge gains Monday, with the rises continuing Tuesday.
- India Inc disappointed with RBI leaving rates unchanged - Jun 18, 2012
- Wall Street rises on monetary easing hopes - Jun 20, 2012
- Indian banks need to raise Rs.1.75 trillion capital by 2018: RBI - Aug 04, 2012
- India Inc disappointed with RBI leaving rates unchanged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Markets continue to hammer Spanish debt - Jul 24, 2012
- US Treasury to sell shares in Citigroup - Mar 30, 2010
- IMF calls for action to handle global crisis - Sep 25, 2011
- India's central bank keeps key lending rates unchanged (Third Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- India's central bank keeps key lending rates unchanged (Fourth Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Spanish government takes controlling stake in ailing bank - May 10, 2012
- Inflation to be high till fiscal consolidation is complete: Experts - Sep 17, 2012
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- US stocks end mixed after heavy sell-off - Jun 05, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Economy improving, says Spanish premier - Sep 24, 2010