Bus set on fire after youth dies in accident in West BengalMarch 16th, 2009 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 16 (IANS) An irate mob broke windows of a mini-bus and set it ablaze after the vehicle ran over a youth in a West Bengal town Monday, the police said.
The incident took place Monday morning in Salkia town of Howrah district, adjoining Kolkata.
“An 18-year-old youth was run over by a speeding mini-bus in Salkia. He died on way to the hospital,” district police superintendent N.K. Singh said.
“Residents of the area rushed to the spot and broke glasses and window panes of the vehicle before setting the vehicle on fire. The police brought the situation under control after about three hours,” Singh said.
The driver and the conductor of the bus are absconding. The identity of the youth is still not known, the police said.
According to eyewitnesses, the accident occurred when two buses were trying to overtake each other.
“Two buses - a private bus and the mini-bus were trying to overtake each other. The youth was cycling down the same road. The mini-bus lost control and hit the cycle,” Ratan Sikdar, an eyewitness, said.
The mini-bus was going from Bhatnagar in Howrah to Dharamtala in central Kolkata.
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Telangana activists damage buses coming from Andhra - Oct 03, 2011
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- China donates 45 vehicles to Mauritius Police - Sep 01, 2012
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Man charred to death as mini-bus catches fire - Jan 16, 2011
- 28 killed as buses collide - Dec 26, 2010
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 23 killed in Maharashtra bus accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 17 killed in road accident in east China - Aug 06, 2011
- Four killed as mini-bus falls into drain near Amritsar - Oct 15, 2009
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- 23 killed as tempo rams into mini-buses (Second Lead) - May 28, 2012
- People blockade roads, damage buses after Kolkata accident - Oct 11, 2008