Bus rolls down Himachal gorge, 24 killed (Second Lead)August 19th, 2010 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 19 (IANS) Twenty-four people were killed and 29 injured when an overcrowded bus skidded off the road and fell into a 500-foot deep gorge Thursday evening near this Himachal Pradesh capital, police said.
It was the second major road accident in the state in less than 24 hours.
A private bus coming from Sharounta to Shimla met with an accident at Sanai village near Chaila on the Kotkhai-Theog road, 45 km from here, around 4.30 p.m., Deputy Superintendent of Police Badri Dutt told IANS over phone from the spot.
He said the 29 injured were admitted to the Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital in Shimla.
According to Superintendent of Police R.M. Sharma, prima facie it seems that the bus suddenly stopped while ascending and the driver lost control of the bus as its brakes failed. The bus rolled into a gorge.
He said the rescue operation is almost over.
Rescue workers said the spot where the accident occurred had been badly damaged due to the recent rains. They said the road was slushy due to the ongoing World Bank-funded road widening project being undertaken by the Longjian Road and Bridge Company Ltd of China.
Local villagers were the first to reach the spot and begin rescue operations.
Governor Urmila Singh, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal and Leader of Opposition Vidya Stokes expressed grief over the accident.
Stokes, who reached the spot, told IANS that the roads in the area were deteriorating due to the recent rains and heavy movement of trucks for transportation of apples these days.
Horticulture Minister Narender Bragta also reached the scene to monitor the relief and rescue operation.
On Wednesday evening, 38 people, including 22 women and nine children, were killed and an equal number injured in Mandi district when an overcrowded truck skidded off the road and fell into a gorge.
- 19 killed as bus falls into gorge in Himachal (Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- 12 killed in Himachal as bus rolls down into gorge - Aug 19, 2010
- Five killed in Himachal accident - Aug 20, 2010
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 40 die as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Bus with over 30 people falls into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 20 die as bus fall into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Bus with 30 people falls into Himachal gorge - Sep 10, 2012
- 34 killed in Himachal bus accident (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Car skids off road in Shimla, five killed - Jan 21, 2012
- Notice to Chinese firm on Himachal road projects' delay - Jul 10, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Ten killed in Himachal accident - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: apples, badri, bridge company, capital police, chief minister, company ltd, deep gorge, deputy superintendent, gandhi medical college, himachal pradesh, horticulture, indira gandhi, leader of opposition, narender, private bus, rescue operations, road accident, urmila, wednesday evening, widening project