Bus mishap in Doda, many could be killed: policeJune 7th, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 7 (IANS) A mini-bus with more than 25 people swerved off a mountain road and plunged into a river in Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district Sunday. Four passengers, including a child, fell out of the bus as it rolled down and are seriously injured. Police said many people could be killed in the mishap.
The accident occurred at Karara in Doda district, about 180 km northeast of Jammu. The bus plunged into the Chenab river and many passengers could be drowned, police said.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Doda, Prabhat Singh told reporters that the mini bus, with a capacity of 26 people, rolled down 500 feet from the highway into the swollen Chenab river in the morning.
“We have no idea about the casualty as yet. But there is remote chance of survival,” he said.
“The bus is completely submerged and we cannot see it. Divers of the Indian Army and cranes have been pressed into rescue operation, but the rapid current and deep water are hampering the operation.”
He said four people - a conductor, two women and a child - who fell out of the bus have been shifted to hospital. “They are in deep shock,” Singh said.
At least 30 people were killed in May near Kishtwar in a road accident.
Mountainous roads in Jammu region are notorious for road accidents.
The accidents are mostly attributed to overloading of passenger buses, poor
maintenance of vehicles, and shabby road conditions coupled with lack of mountain driving skills.
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- 26 missing in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Mini-bus with 25 people falls in Jammu river, two escape - Jul 23, 2010
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- 30 missing after vehicle falls into river - Nov 05, 2011
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- Two killed, 30 injured in Kashmir road accident - Jan 02, 2011
- 15 Ladakh artists killed in Himachal bus accident - Aug 15, 2011
- 5 die as bus falls into george in Jammu - Sep 07, 2012
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Five die as vehicle falls into gorge in J&K; - May 28, 2012
- 15 people killed in Philippines road accident - Jun 02, 2010
- 12 killed as bus falls into swollen Himachal rivulet - Aug 10, 2011
- Five killed, 20 injured in accident in Jammu and Kashmir - Oct 30, 2008