Bus knocks down 11 in Meerut, two killedOctober 19th, 2011 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 19 (IANS) At least two people were crushed to death and nine others were critically injured when they were knocked down by a state-owned bus in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district Wednesday, police said.
The speeding Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) bus that was heading to Muzaffarnagar from Meerut spun out of control in Kankarkhera area and ran over people standing by the roadside - some waiting for their buses.
“While a woman and a man died on the spot, as many as nine people received multiple injuries after being hit by the bus,” police inspector Sanjay Singh told reporters in Meerut, some 450 km from Lucknow.
“The condition of all the nine injured is stated to be serious. They are being treated at the district hospital and the Meerut Medical College,” he added.
According to police, the bus driver initially managed to escape but was nabbed later with the help of locals.
- Two students killed as truck rams into school bus - Jan 28, 2011
- Five killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - Aug 17, 2010
- Speeding tanker crushes four to death - Aug 10, 2011
- Seven passengers killed as bus falls into pit - Apr 06, 2011
- Bus runs over seven, four killed - May 24, 2010
- 16 women troopers injured in accident - Jan 14, 2011
- Nine killed in Uttar Pradesh road accident - Apr 19, 2011
- School girl dead, four students hurt as bus runs over them - Aug 05, 2010
- Six kanwarias killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 06, 2010
- Seven die as car falls in canal - Dec 22, 2010
- Nine kanwarias killed in road accidents (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- 15 die as bus runs over marriage procession - Jun 01, 2010
- Five women drown as vehicle plunges into canal - Sep 03, 2011
- 13 women police recruits injured in accident - Jan 12, 2011
- Six Kumbh pilgrims killed in accident - Mar 29, 2010