Burundi president to meet PM TuesdaySeptember 17th, 2012 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 17 (IANS) Relations between India and Burundi are set to get a fillip when the eastern African country’s president, Pierre Nkurunziza, meets Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday.
India and Burundi, a landlocked country in the Great Lakes region of eastern Africa, share close and friendly relations.
President Nkurunziza is accompanied by his wife Denise Bucumi Nkurunziza. His delegation also includes the Ministers of External Relations and International Cooperation, Agriculture and Livestock, Energy and Mines, and Commerce and Industries besides senior government officials, said an official statement.
President Nkurunziza will hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday on matters of bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest following which the two countries are to ink an agreement, the statement said.
India is engaged with Burundi in capacity building and infrastructure development programmes bilaterally and through the India Africa Forum Summit process.
The visit of President Nkurunziza “is expected to lead to a further development of bilateral relations between India and the Republic of Burundi”.
President Nkurunziza will also meet President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari.
On Tuesday morning, he will be accorded a ceremonial reception at the forecourt of Rashtrapati Bhawan. He will also visit the mausoleum of Mahatma Gandhi for laying a wreath. Among his other engagements are a meeting with Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur. He is also to address a business meeting jointly organised by ASSOCHAM, CII and FICCI.
He departs Wednesday night.
- India to host Burundi's president next week - Sep 13, 2012
- India offers Burundi $40 million, sign pacts - Sep 18, 2012
- India signs cooperation pact with Burundi - Feb 21, 2012
- Burundi can benefit from India's development experience: President - Sep 18, 2012
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- India to set up education planning institute in Burundi - Oct 19, 2011
- Manmohan kicks off week of high-wire Africa diplomacy - May 22, 2011
- India to expand science, tech cooperation with Africa (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- India, Africa poised to expand science, tech cooperation - Mar 04, 2012
- Charm Africa: Manmohan heads to Ethiopia, Tanzania next week (Lead) - May 17, 2011
Tags: africa forum, bilateral relations, bilaterally, eastern africa, fillip, forecourt, hamid ansari, infrastructure development, international cooperation, landlocked country, mahatma gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, mutual interest, pierre nkurunziza, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, tuesday morning, wife denise